To Apply: Email resume & writing clips or portfolio link to: email@example.com
Media Internship – Editorial Internship
YourTango is the premier media company dedicated exclusively to love and relationships. We present compelling, brave, and thoughtful editorial content that inspires, nurtures, informs, and entertains.
Our ambitious editorial interns work closely with our creative and dynamic full-time editorial team. Interns become an integral part of the YourTango team, learning the ins and outs of the online publishing business, working one-on-one with editors to pitch ideas and writing quality articles for publication.
Our ideal candidate is someone with:
- Excellent writing skills with the capability to produce fast, super-clean copy for publication.
- The ability (and drive!) to write a minimum of 8 articles per week (within their 20-25 hour schedule).
- Excellent spelling, grammar, and typing skills with a passion for writing clean, error-free content.
- A degree (or currently pursuing a degree) in journalism, magazine journalism, marketing, communication, English, writing, marketing, advertising, or related field.
- Stellar interpersonal and communication skills, with a fast-paced, high-energy, can-do mentality.
- The ability to juggle several tasks at once in a fast-paced online environment.
- Self-driven and undeniably reliable.
- Pitching headline and article ideas daily.
- Participate in daily pitch meetings (should be prepared to pitch ideas in every meeting)
- Writing/editing a minimum of 8 articles per week.
- Periodically editing article submissions from other writers.
- Building articles within our content management system (we provide full training)
- Finding images, memes for header photos, and in-body content.
- Using current Search engine optimization (SEO) techniques on every article (we provide training).
- Periodically working with editorial content from our partner sites, assisting editors with various projects, training in areas to expand skill set, etc.
- Working across multiple departments to help with projects, including (but not limited to) pulling weekly/monthly article analytics, PR outreach, social media scheduling, refurbishing archive content, etc.
- Access to your own computer and reliable internet connection.
- Ability to communicate consistently throughout your scheduled shifts with our team in real-time via Slack and email for chatting, voice calls, video calls, conference calls, and screen-sharing.
- Ability to work a SET weekly schedule between the days of Monday and Friday. (Schedule approved at the beginning of the internship).
- Available to work 20-25 hrs per week between 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM ET for 4 months. Last day of internship will be calculated 4 months after the start date.
- NOTE: Like in a regular in-office setting, when you’re online during your shift, you’ll be interacting via Slack and available at a moment’s notice during your scheduled times, actively working throughout the day – so please make sure that you are able to be fully available during the 20-25 hour schedule you decide on before accepting the internship.
Supervision & Feedback:
- Interns are placed to work under an editor, who will supervise them throughout the entirety of the internship. Supervisors (professionals with expertise and educational background in the publishing field) will provide routine feedback through the internship, and – if required by the school – can complete mid-semester or end-of-semester evaluations of the intern (must be requested by the school at the beginning of the internship period).
Eligibility, Pay & Stipend:
- Intern must be located within the continental U.S throughout the duration of the internship.
- A $500 stipend to be paid upon completion of the 4-month internship via invoice, paper check/EBT. Hourly pay is not available for this internship. This internship adheres to the Fair Labor Standards Act and the standards set by the U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division.
- Interns may receive college credit for their internship.
YourTango is the leading online magazine dedicated to love and relationships.
We know that by helping women love better and connect more meaningfully, they feel happier and a greater sense of belonging. This is what drives us. Endless research proves this point: we are fundamentally social creatures, emotionally and biologically hard-wired for connection.
YourTango has built a powerful platform where a community of readers, writers, brands, thought leaders, and the world’s leading relationship and mental health experts connect and engage where it matters most: the heart.
Through emotionally intelligent, real, relatable editorial, YourTango focuses on what’s happening inside our readers’ hearts and minds. By bringing to light issues women care and think about, but often don’t talk about, we help them feel more confident and less alone.
Featuring a collection of diverse voices, YourTango shares affirming stories, thoughtful opinions, funny perspectives, approachable expert advice, and lots of fun, shareable lists that, together, help foster stronger, happier relationships with those who matter most, including ourselves, spouses, kids, crushes, friends, families, pets, and, yes, sometimes even our exes!