Build skills to last a life time!
YMCA Camp Duncan
YMCA Camp Duncan is located about an hour northwest of Chicago on beautiful Fish Lake. Camp Duncan is approximately 300 acres and operates a Day Camp, Overnight Camp, and Group Services Department. Camp Duncan sits on a lake with boats and a blob, archery, climbing tower, high ropes course/zipline, hiking trails, campfires, teams course, soccer fields, basketball courts, gaga pits, and so much more!
If you are looking for a fun and exciting experience, Camp Duncan is the place for you. Interning at Camp Duncan will give you a look at how a year round camp operation functions, how to plan and host customer groups, and teach you over 25 outdoor education classes and recreation programs. The Group Services Department serves around 20,000 diverse customers a year.
The Group Services Internship in the Fall 2021 Semester (August 2021 through December 2021) will provide employees with a well-rounded, paid internship experience which focuses on all aspects of a year round camp. Training will include: how to teach outdoor education, facilitate classes, risk management, marketing, budget, and customer service. Ideal candidates will be committed, energetic, and enthusiastic individuals that are working toward a degree in Parks & Recreations or a related field.
Being flexible to work various hours which are dependent on customer needs is very important. Some days start very early, and some run late. Interns must live on the camp property for the internship. Room and board is provided at Camp Duncan, in addition to a stipend.
Camp Duncan is a place to learn, grow, and make memories that will last a lifetime!!
What you’ll do:
Interns will gain the following skills:
- Complete training’s and certifications in First Aid/CPR, Risk Management, Customer Service, Child Abuse Prevention, Leadership Development, Classroom Management, Policies and Procedures, and the overall function of the camp.
- Learn to teach over 25 outdoor education classes.
- Develop and design classes to meet the needs of diverse groups.
- Learn to facilitate at the archery range, climbing tower, team course. high ropes course, waterfront, and more.
- Grow your communication and leadership skills by working with all departments at camp, including kitchen, maintenance, and resident/day camp.
- Assist in marketing, budget implementation, and fundraising events.
- Supports the commitment of the YMCA to child abuse prevention and safety by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required.
Child Abuse Prevention:
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
How you’ll do it:
- Currently seeking a degree in Parks and Recreation or related field.
- Ability to perform moderate physical activity and adapt to changing work conditions.
- Work with diverse groups of people, and work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Must be able to commit to one semester (Fall 2021) and commit to working 40+ hours a week.
- Must be willing to live on camp grounds for the Fall 2021 semester.
- Must be willing and flexible to work various hours/shifts including nights and weekends.
Be Part of Our Mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness and healthy living. Our network of 19 membership centers, five camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs at 100+ sites in the city and suburbs provides everyone with a safe place to learn, play and grow. In this role, you’ll be an integral part of ensuring the YMCA continues to be a leader in making our city a world-class place to live and raise a family. So you’re not just impacting a bottom line, you’re impacting people and communities all over Chicagoland.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to a background check.