Job Title: Research Technician I – Dr. Manish Shah
Title: Research Technician I – Dr. Manish Shah
Location: Upper East Side
Org Unit: GI Onc Clinical Operations 2
Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Under supervision, assists scientists with laboratory and investigative procedures This role performs various assays, imaging experiments, and other technical duties to assist with the research activities of the laboratory and may be required to work with animal models and/or human subjects
- Prepares and maintains detailed records, logs and summary reports of all procedures and results including graphs, scientific calculations, and statistical analysis charting.
- May be responsible for tissue & cell culture activities.
- May be responsible for animal husbandry, genotyping, surgeries, post-operative care, behavioral testing, sectioning and histology.
- May perform routine molecular biology laboratory procedures, such as PCR, protein and DNA electrophoresis, cloning and DNA preparation.
- May run routine biochemistry assays including western blotting and RT-PCR.
- May perform microscopic imaging analyses.
- May be responsible for the receipt, storage, cataloguing and shipment of samples within and between institutions.
- Ensures a clean working area and is responsible for washing and storing glassware.
- Ensures that safe laboratory practices are followed, including the use and disposal of chemicals and hazardous materials.
- Analyzes data using computer software and reports results to the principle investigator(s).
- Provides technical support to faculty and staff including training of new employees, residents, postdoctoral associates, fellows and students.
- Participates in planning and carrying out experiments. Assists in preparing research protocols.
- Conducts library research and literature searches using various computer systems. Assists in editing scientific publications, abstracts and posters.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents. May order supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensure that needs are escalated appropriately. Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery. May assist with cost control.
- Ensures that facilities and equipment are in optimal and proper working condition. Coordinates preventative maintenance and repairs as needed. May perform minor repairs if qualified and as needed. May advise on upgrades for performance enhancements.
- Bachelor’s Degree
Some bench lab related experience.
Minimum two-year commitment due to a substantial training effort associated with the position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Standard laboratory conditions.
Ability to work flexible hours.
This position may handle radioactive material and/or biologic materials from human subjects as required.
This position may require standing or sitting for long periods of time.
This role may require working within Biologic Safety Level 1, 2 and/or 3 facilities
Weill Cornell Medicine is a comprehensive academic medical center that’s committed to excellence in patient care, scientific discovery, and the education of future physicians in New York City and around the world. Our doctors and scientists-faculty from Weill Cornell Medical College, Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, and the Weill Cornell Physician Organization-are engaged in world-class clinical care and cutting-edge research that connect patients to the latest treatment innovations and prevention strategies. Located in the heart of the Upper East Side’s scientific corridor, Weill Cornell Medicine’s powerful network of collaborators extends to its parent university Cornell University; to Qatar, where an international campus offers a U.S. medical degree; and to programs in Tanzania, Haiti, Brazil, Austria and Turkey. Our medical practices serve communities throughout New York City, and our faculty provide comprehensive care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, NewYork-Presbyterian/Lower Manhattan Hospital, and NewYork-Presbyterian/Queens. At Weill Cornell Medicine, we work together to treat each individual, not just their conditions or illnesses, as we strive to deliver the finest possible care for our patients – the center of everything we do. Weill Cornell Medicine is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Weill Cornell Medicine provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.