Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is the steward of an integrated, multimodal transportation system that helps to ensure that people and goods move safely and efficiently throughout the state. In addition to building, maintaining, and operating the state highway system, WSDOT operates the largest ferry system in the nation, manages the world’s longest floating bridge, and recently completed the world’s widest tunneling project.
WSDOT is eager to hire multiple experienced civil engineers to serve as our next Project Engineer for our I-405/SR167 Megaprogram in Kirkland. The primary responsibility of the Project Engineer is to deliver I-405/SR-167 Megaprogram’s highway design and construction contracts to meet local, state, and federal standards within scope, schedule, budget, with the least amount of impacts to the traveling public as necessary. Our top candidate will be comfortable performing a variety of duties in accordance with WSDOT standards to support the delivery of our multimillion dollar design-build projects within the I-405/SR 167 corridors.
What to Expect
The Project Engineer must possess knowledge of management skills and the ability to apply engineering principles, a strong background in both design and construction, and the ability to work with others to solve major design and construction issues.
Among the varied range of responsibilities held within this role, the Project Engineer will:
- Certify that all WSDOT standards and policies are followed in the development of all design documents, plans, and specifications that were produced in the organization and any changes executed in the administration of construction projects.
- Manage preliminary engineering design contracts by providing the most economical design that meets safety, mobility, and environmental needs of the project.
- Manage design-build and bid-build contracts by interpreting and implementing contract documents, regulatory codes and standards
- Manage an office of professional and technical engineers and consultants, and strategically plan the budget, schedule, and workforce necessary to deliver projects.
- Ensure that all assigned projects are managed in accordance with WSDOT policy and procedures to meet the desired scope, schedule, budget, and documentation for the project, and ensure that projects are delivered in an environmentally responsible manner consistent with applicable laws.
- Partner with external agencies and internal departments to determine what provisions will be addressed in the project development process for each project and executing the resulting requirements included in construction contracts.
- Report on the status of assigned projects to WSDOT Regional and Statewide Executive management to support and improve the accountability of WSDOT.
To be considered for this opportunity, the following are required:
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (Civil Engineer) in the State of Washington
- Valid Drivers License.
In addition to:
- Knowledge and skills related to design process, contract advertisement and award, merit system rules, affirmative action policies and laws, and union contracts.
- Ability to manage a complex multimillion dollar budget.
- Ability to successfully negotiate with contractors, planning of workforce needs and requirements, personnel management.
- Ability to manage and administer a large design and construction program with the best efficiency in use of staff and budget.
- Ability to develop and construct unique technical systems for large civil infrastructure, intelligent transportation systems and environmental retrofits in sensitive natural environments with multiple stakeholders.
- Knowledge of highway and bridge design and construction processes, managing project delivery techniques, principles of management, quality principle and tools, contract administration policy, and construction contract law.
It is preferred that qualified candidates also have:
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering or related field
- Four (4) years of experience in delivering design and/or construction projects.
- Experience in procuring projects through design-build and design-bid-build processes.
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary teams and agencies.
- Knowledge of FHWA processes and requirements related to delivering federally funded projects and making sure it meets their federal stewardship obligations.
- Knowledge and experience in managing workforce
- By issuance of proclamation, the Governor of Washington State mandates that all employees who work for executive cabinet agencies (which includes the Department of Transportation) must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. This is a condition of employment with WSDOT. Exemption may be granted for religious or medical purposes, however, accommodations will be subject to approval based on the essential functions required of the position.
- The information provided on your application profile, any supplemental material attached to your application, and the responses to the supplemental questions will be used to determine qualifications for interview selection. Therefore, it is to your advantage that your application packet be completed in as much detail as possible.
- The listed salary includes the Legislative approved King County Premium.
- The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until a sufficient candidate pool has been established. However, the first review of applications will be conducted on XXXX. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time thereafter. It is to your benefit to submit your application as soon as possible.
- This recruitment may also be used to fill additional positions per business needs.
- Work-Life Balance – We are committed to ensure that our staff experience the reward of public service, while also sustaining a routine that suits each individuals’ lifestyle. As such, there are a number of flexible schedule options available to staff, including occasional telework for eligible positions.
- Paid Leave – In addition to 10 paid holidays, full-time employees earn a minimum 14 paid vacation days per year!
- Plan For Your Future – WSDOT offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes a variety of healthcare options, and free dental coverage! Employees also have their choice of state retirement programs, and much more. Go to State Benefits for more information.
- Tuition Assistance – Our employees have several options for assistance with education expenses, including tuition reimbursement programs, government discounts at participating colleges throughout the state, and eligibility for federal student loan forgiveness.
Check out this video to learn more: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Your relevant experience may be evaluated to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the “Work Experience” portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible. In order to be considered for this opportunity, please include the following with your online application:
- An attached Resume outlining (in reverse chronological order) your experience to date.
- An attached Cover Letter that further details your qualifications, and indicates why you believe you are a viable candidate for this role.
- Contact information to be included in the “References” section of the online application for a minimum three (3) individuals who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies.
Please click the “APPLY” button to proceed. Note that you will be prompted to either sign in, or create an account. This step is required in order to submit an application to this opportunity.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. We value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and viewpoints while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, as well as people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit www.uscis.gov
For inquiries about this posting, you may contact the assigned Recruiter, Eric Saniatan, at SaniatE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please be sure to reference 21DOT-NWR-1W190 in the subject line.
Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed Recruiter.