The Virginia Farm Bureau Federation is seeking a Digital Media and Member Engagement Coordinator who has a passion for agricultural issues to develop engaging content for current and prospective members using digital, Internet and social media outlets.
This position works collaboratively across all companies associated with Virginia Farm Bureau Federation for cross promotion of services for members. This is a hybrid role with work directed from the Governmental Relations and Communications departments. Emphasis is focused on developing educational information, programs, and tools to help members understand complex legislative and regulatory issues and be able to increase members’ responses to action requests.
In this multi-faceted role, you will keep all internal Farm Bureau communication tools current with information regarding key issues. You will also recruit farmers to use digital tools to tell about their operations to increase legislators’ and their constituents’ agricultural knowledge to garner support on Farm Bureau policy. Significant emphasis will be growing our organization’s presence on social media to maintain communication with our current audience while appealing to new ones, including the general public.
- Collaborate with internal departments to develop and implement a strategic social media plan
- Create content through creative writing and design, strategic thinking and supporting Farm Bureau’s “brand.”
- This includes:
-drafting and publishing text and visuals
-coordinating with on-site content contributors
-soliciting and/or coordinating content from outside sources (e.g. Takeover Tuesday)
-This may include travel to farms and Farm Bureau events to source information and
take photos for posts.
- Post to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other official Farm Bureau social media platforms to facilitate implementation of the organization’s social media strategic plan.
- Determine how often and on which platform, to post content, and secure any accompanying visual media for each post.
- Help develop and implement a plan to monitor comments/questions and respond in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with Farm Bureau Insurance marketing team on efforts for cross promotion of content across Farm Bureau companies, as well as assist in responding to questions, comments directed at policy positions of the organization.
- Partner with department leadership on collecting suggested information from internal audiences to be shared on public media.
- Recruit farmers to use digital tools to talk about their farms, to increase legislators’ and the public’s agriculture and forestry knowledge
- Develop a plan for monitoring other social media pages/posts that may positively or negatively impact farmers, and help provide guidance on a Farm Bureau response if needed
- Examine successful programs in other states and determine if adaptable to Virginia.
- Set goals and measure growth of social media through analytics and feedback.
- Develop supplemental plans to schedule/manage/coordinate/edit a content calendar and schedule posts using a media management tool (SmarterQue).
- Work with Farm Bureau web developer to determine where social content will reside.
- Grow sites by identifying the company’s current and desired audiences and deciding how the company can maintain communication with current audience while appealing to new ones.
- Coordinate overall measurement of outreach effort using monitoring tools to determine results in key areas such as placements, reach and value-for-media outreach efforts, both on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Collaborate with Grassroots Social Media Coordinator in charge of helping manage county Farm Bureau social media pages
Member Engagement on Policy Issues
- Administer electronic action alert system to assist member in responding to legislative action requests.
- Increase member responses to legislative action requests.
- Collaborate with internal or external graphics professionals and/or utilize skills to produce visuals related to priority issues.
- Keep all internal Farm Bureau communication tools current with information regarding priority issues.
- Partner with Director of Women & Young Farmers and Agriculture in the Classroom through promotion of action alerts.
- Provide support for implementing social media and legislative strategies developed to engage Farm Bureau Young Farmers.
- Maintain “Plows & Politics Blog” with timely information on policy issues
- Assist with annual State Fair social media monitoring
- Some travel required at least 25% of time
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Communications or Vice President of Governmental Relations
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL/EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Communications, Journalism or Marketing, Public Policy, Agriculture, Agriculture Economics or Agriculture Communications or commensurate experience
- Experience with digital and broadcast storytelling
- Knowledge of trending and common agriculture issues
- Understanding of Farm Bureau policies and of the organization
MINIMUM SKILL QUALIFICATIONS
· Ability to interpret and communicate complex regulatory requirements
· High level of initiative and motivation
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Excellent writing and speaking ability
· Ability to research information and break down into sizeable pieces for public consumption
· Detail-oriented approach with ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
· Effective time-management skills with the ability to multitask
· Ability to communicate objectively while using judgment
· Strong Emotional Intelligence (EQ) skills
· Social Media platform management and knowledge
· Basic photography and/or videography skills
· Additional Continuing Education Degrees, Certifications, etc.
· Agriculture/Farming background
· Graphic design a plus
· Familiarity and previous experience with Virginia state or national government and the legislative process.
At VA Farm Bureau, we provide an exceptional benefits package, including ongoing job development and support in all roles, paid training and continuing education reimbursement, medical and dental insurance on your first day, generous employee “401K” contribution, excellent Paid Time off (PTO) plan and more!
Virginia Farm Bureau Companies provide equal employment opportunity in all aspects of employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, pregnancy, age disability, orientation or veteran status.