The Village of Schaumburg employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance, human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be. Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois and was recently named by Money Magazine as one of the Top 10 Best Places to Live!
· The intern will gain insight into social services programs offered within the public sector.
· The intern will gain an experiential learning opportunity in the area of human services.
· The intern will receive exposure to the overall working of a municipally operated Human Services Division and will gain valuable knowledge about community services programs.
Essential Internship Functions:
The primary responsibility for this unpaid internship is to coordinate the village’s Holiday Gift Giving program for our community’s families in need. This will involve fielding and replying to inquiries regarding the gift giving program, creating an online registration process, validating the gift recipients, manage incoming donations, and schedule gift pick up.
· Currently enrolled in a college program in the Human Services, Social Work, Psychology, or related fields
· Interest in pursuing a career in human services, social work, community services, and/or community programming
· Strong interpersonal skills and good communication skills both verbal and written
· Minimum of intermediate Microsoft Office skills
· Minimum 18 years of age
· Must pass a criminal background screening
· Must be local to Schaumburg, this is as on-site position at Schaumburg Police Department
Internship Schedule (days/hours offered)
· Flexible days and times based on the student’s availability, Monday through Friday running from November through December.
· Willing to coordinate with school for class credit
Interested? Please complete a Volunteer Application and select “Police Department” as department of interest.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER