Research Scientist – Proteomics
Van Andel Institute (VAI), is a leading independent biomedical research facility dedicated to determining the epigenetic, genetic, molecular and cellular origins of cancer, Parkinson’s and other diseases, and translating those findings into effective therapies. The Institute is home to more than 400 scientists and support staff that work in on-site laboratories and in collaborative partnerships that span the globe.
In 2018, VAI launched a new research program in Metabolic and Nutritional Programming, with the goal of improving health through prediction, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment. At the center of this program was the establishment of the Metabolomics and Bioenergetics (MetaBio) Core, a state-of-the-art core facility using mass spectrometry to profile metabolic mechanisms of disease. We are seeking to hire a full-time Research Scientist, Proteomics, to expand the capabilities of the MetaBio Core to include Proteomics. In this role as Research Scientist, Proteomics, you will develop a mass-spectrometry-based proteomics platform at VAI, and provide scientific expertise and leadership in delivering proteomics services to VAI investigators and outside collaborators and clients.
In this role, your primary duties will include:
- Implementing and developing a Proteomics platform at VAI
- Designing and implementing workflows and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for multiple proteomics applications including but not limited to profiling of proteins in complex biological mixtures, protein identification, SILAC, and post-translational modifications.
- Developing and applying ad-hoc bioinformatics solutions for the analysis and visualization of complex proteomics datasets.
- Working with the MetaBio Core manager to develop proteomics capabilities into a core service. This will include study tracking, preparing customer data reports, billing, and record keeping
- Providing front-end experimental design support for users of proteomics services.
- Maintaining, operating, and coordinating repairs on LC/MS systems.
- Extracting, collecting, and analyzing LC/MS proteomics data; reviewing and evaluating research findings of client samples according to established facility SOPs.
- Developing, troubleshooting, and implementing new sample extraction and analysis methods by LC/MS; implementing new methods in coordination with MetaBio lab members
- Reviewing & approving LC/MS data proteomics generated by other lab members.
- Disseminating research results and methodologies, specifically the methods sections for client publications or grant applications; this may include leading or contributing to the writing of manuscripts and data presentations.
- In time, managing technical staff involved in proteomics services
The ideal candidate should possess experience with the following:
- A highly organized multi-tasker who pays attention to detail and values research integrity.
- Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related field
- 5 years of research experience in mass-spectrometry, including at least 3 years of direct experience in LC-MS equipment, technologies, and analysis related to proteomics
- Hands-on experience in TMT quantitative proteomics methodology, protein identification, and protein PTM analysis
- Demonstrated computer skills for the analysis of proteomics data is required.
- Hands-on experience and troubleshooting skills for HPLC and orbitrap mass spectrometer instrumentation
- Previous experience in processing and analyzing large datasets (i.e., metabolomics data, NGS data, genome annotation or developing analysis pipelines) is an asset.
- Familiarity with databases, and statistical computing programs, R and Matlab, is an asset.
- Familiarity with the fields of cancer biology, neuroscience, and/or immunology is an asset
- Ability to work independently yet be a team player.
HOW TO APPLY
If you possess these attributes and enjoy working with motivated and driven people, we would welcome speaking with you and encourage you to apply today! https://bit.ly/3kOesL6
- A cover letter describing your research interests, experience, and how you might contribute to the establishment of a Proteomics platform within the MetaBio Core.
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- A list of 2-3 individuals who have agreed to act as references along with their contact details.
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
VAI is actively striving to diversify its workforce and strongly encourages qualified individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Van Andel Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer.
As Van Andel Institute is a drug and alcohol free employer, all prospective new employees undergo a urinalysis/drug test as part of our pre-employment process. Prospective employees will also undergo a background check (criminal history and misconduct, employment and degree verification).
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, MI which is the second-largest city in Michigan and the largest city in West Michigan. Grand Rapids offers a remarkable combination of cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community, and is ranked one of “America’s Top 100 Places to Live.”
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you would expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theaters, museums, sports and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids’ diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.