Find full position details and apply online at: https://jobs.uis.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=148010&job=director-office-of-disability-services
The University of Illinois Springfield is seeking a qualified Director of the Office of Disability Services to support the Student Affairs Department. The successful candidate will have experience serving as the primary resource responsible to ensure campus compliance with the ADA -Americans with Disabilities Act and ensuring students registered with the ODS receive the appropriate academic accommodations with approved documentation supporting the request for academic accommodations.
• Oversees the Disability Specialists and makes executive decisions with reviewing and evaluating student documentation to determine appropriate academic accommodations for each individual student’s disability. Is responsible for the continuous training and direction of the Disability Specialists ensuring they remain informed regarding disability categories.
• Supervises the coordination of the various services involved in registering a student with a disability to receive services including the intake interview, determination of appropriate academic accommodations, the securing and coordinating of needed campus resources, such as housing, counseling center, classroom assistive technology, captioning and the Illinois Department of Rehabilitation Services to ensure the student registered with ODS is provided with the ADA approved accommodations and services.
• Oversees hiring, training, managing and evaluating of all ODS employees including: staff, graduate assistant(s) and student workers. Hires and coordinates American Sign Language interpreters and Communication Access Real Time Translation (CART) reporters. Responsible for compliance with the ADA ensuring appropriate academic accommodations for students registered with the office.
• Supervises the management of the Assistive Technology Lab? evaluates the equipment needs, cost and services.
• Ensures best record keeping practices are being utilized in the management of all office records, confidential files and budget account files.
• Acts as the department’s fiscal manager and is responsible for approving all ODS expenditures and resources. Oversees the operating budget and allocation of funds. Projects and tracks the costs to meet the needs of student’s academic accommodations; requested and required.
• Attends faculty meetings to provide updated information of best practices and to ensure students registered with the ODS receive the appropriate academic accommodation. Provides them the opportunity to discuss any questions or concerns they have regarding disability issues.
• Prepares or directs the preparation of periodic reports pertinent to the ODS for administration and other entities within the Ul system.
• Promotes the increased visibility of the Office of Disability Services through the facilitation of events, activities, and marketing campaigns. Collaborates with other offices to promote disability awareness and advocate for students.
The minimum qualifications for this position:
- A Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Work, Counseling, Law or related field.
- A minimum of five years of relevant, recent professional experience with direct experience working with individuals with i.e., mobility, psychological, sensory, and learning disabilities.
- Familiarity and knowledge of the (ADA), Americans with Disabilities Act; Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act as related to modifications and accommodations in post -secondary education.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with demonstrated effectiveness interacting with supervisors, colleagues, students, parents and community agencies. Appropriate discrete communication and diplomacy handling sensitive, confidential and delicate legal issues.
- Good judgement and the ability to multi-task and be proactive in daily activities.
- A doctoral degree in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Juris or related field with five to seven years of managerial experience with recent, relevant professional experience with direct experience working with individuals.
- Experience in higher education with fiscal responsibility and supervision of staff.
Apply online at: https://jobs.uis.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=148010&job=director-office-of-disability-services Application deadline is November 12, 2021.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
New Policy: All offers for employment are contingent upon proof of vaccination against the COVID-19 virus pursuant to https://www.uis.edu/academicstaffhandbook/university-policies/fall-2021-covid-19-vaccination-policy-for-new-hires/.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer; veterans, persons with disabilities, women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899