Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The Anesthesia Support Department operates 24/7.
The Anesthesia Technician will perform technical work in setting up, calibrating and troubleshooting anesthesia equipment assisting the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with placing invasive and non- invasive monitoring devices on patients, ensuring necessary equipment is in good working condition and properly set up for the anesthesia procedure.
This is a 40 hour a week, day shift position (11am – 7:30pm). This position qualifies for a generous benefit package including PTO accrual based upon the number of hours hired to work.
Performs technical work in setting up, calibrating and troubleshooting anesthesia equipment assisting the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with placing invasive and non- invasive monitoring devices on patients, ensuring necessary equipment is in good working condition and properly set up for the anesthesia procedure.
1. Assists the Anesthesiologist or CRNA with invasive and non-invasive monitoring devices on patients and positioning and transport of patients. Prepares fluids and setups for use and observes sterile technique during line placement. Assists with the preinduction, induction, maintenance and extubation /transport of all phases of an anesthetic, anticipating anesthesia care team needs. Correctly labels and handles specimens to be sent to the laboratory. Uses personal protective equipment, handles sharps safely and practices laser safety.
2. Performs quality control and troubleshooting on assigned anesthesia equipment. Maintains equipment in good working order through 12 point inspection. Checks for sterility, date of expiration and any holes/tears in packaging of supplies. Checks and labels fluids/medications accurately, discards outdated/unlabeled fluids and medications. Completes department Quality Assurance program for anesthesia equipment.
3. Sets up anesthesia equipment and supplies. Cleans equipment with approved solution daily, practices scrupulous scope care and documentation according to policy and assures anesthesia equipment is clean before its use in OR. Prioritizes clinical activities appropriately. Demonstrates both proper use of equipment and knowledge of anesthesia circuits and supplies. Restocks cabinets/ADS supplies and returns unused supplies/equipment to appropriate locations.
- Graduation from an accredited Anesthesia Technician program (or equivalent combination of education, training and experience).
- Basic Life Support certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
- If graduation from an accredited Anesthesia Technician program: No prior experience required.
- If a High School diploma or GED: Two (2) years of operating room experience in calibration, maintenance, and repair of anesthesia equipment or similar equipment, or related experience in a hospital/healthcare setting.
- To be considered as a Trainee: One (1) year of operating room experience involving direct patient care and/or equipment maintenance and calibration.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Medical Center
Organization Unit: Anesthesia Support
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No