The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (PHS) seeks an intern to provide support for both the volunteer program and the non-professional exhibit competitions (Competitive Classes) for the 2022 Philadelphia Flower Show. This role will work closely with the Director of Volunteer Programs and other members of the Volunteer team. The internship will run from January – July 2022, possibility for part-time during the earlier months of the internship. This position will receive a stipend. Open to students enrolled in a degree program (undergrad/grad). College credit is also available. Ability to work remotely and in office, as required.
Overall support of administration for Flower Show volunteers, including but not limited to:
- Monitor volunteer emails and provide timely responses to Flower Show volunteers
- Monitor volunteer sign-ups and reporting to Volunteer Team on status of sign-ups.
- Support volunteer recruitment efforts: outreach to local colleges and community groups.
- Assist with activities involving volunteer committees:
- Taking accurate notes during meetings
- Updating and communicating the status of invoices
- Updating exhibitor entry data
- Oversight of credential mailing and pick-up process
- Support in creation of volunteer training materials.
- Additional data entry as required.
Onsite Show Support:
- As part of a team responsible for a positive volunteer experience, greet volunteers upon their arrival, accurately provide them with information for the day and what to expect about their assignment.
- Track sign-ins and no-show volunteers.
- Monitor volunteer emails and provide timely response and action.
- Update communication materials to volunteers as needed.
- Regularly check in on volunteers throughout the Show; serve as a resource to volunteers and Committee members.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use:
- Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) to generate correspondence (mail merge to produce letters, instructions, labels, nametags, exhibitor entry cards, etc.) for Flower Show volunteers.
- Google Suite programs (Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- Ability to learn and use volunteer management software to track volunteer information and participation in the Flower Show.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to prioritize and complete time-sensitive assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A friendly, helpful attitude towards PHS volunteers and exhibitors, PHS staff, and Show visitors is essential.
- January – mid-May and July: predominantly remote. Some attendance may be needed at PHS. Headquarters, 100 N. 20th St, 5th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19103, leading up to the Show. Flexible arrangement with supervisor.
- Mid-May – June: Flower Show will be outdoors with a temporary indoor office. Show is open to the public late May/early June. Staff are expected to move to FDR Park in May. Onsite presence required at event venue: FDR Park, 1500 Pattison Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19145.
- Full dates for the internship are from mid-January through July 1.
- Standard hours are 9 AM – 5 PM, with decreasing hours after end of Show. Remote work set-up may allow for more flexible hours. To be arranged directly with supervisor.
- Onsite hours at event venue in FDR Park will initially be 8 AM to 5PM with end of-day hours increasing as the build progresses. Once Show opens to the general public, hours will vary and will start as early as 5:45 AM and may end as late as 11PM.
- Internship is intended to be full-time, but part-time hours can be accommodated from January – March.
- Only candidates that can commit to the full duration of the internship (January – July) can be considered.
- There is no staff parking available at PHS headquarters. Parking at FDR Park is still to be determined. Use of public transportation is encouraged.
Please, no telephone or walk-in inquiries. EOE. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.