Mission: The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society motivates people to improve the quality of life and create a sense of community through horticulture.
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society connects people with horticulture to create beautiful, healthy, and sustainable communities.
In 1827, a group of gentleman farmers, botanists and other plant enthusiasts held a meeting to create the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. There, it was resolved “to establish a Horticultural Society in the City of Philadelphia for the promotion of this interesting and highly influential branch of Science.” At that time, PHS boasted 80 members. Today, the PHS family includes more than 15,000 member households.
The first Philadelphia Flower Show was hosted in 1829 at the Masonic Hall where the well-known Christmas favorite, the poinsettia, was first introduced to the American public. Annually, the Philadelphia Flower Show attracts over 250,000 visitors annually, and serves as our nation’s largest and most prestigious flower show. In 2021, due to shifts required by COVID, we produced our first ever outdoor flower show in our 193-year history. The PHS Philadelphia Flower Show is recognized nationally and internationally for its impact and grandeur. Over the years, the Show has been recognized with a multitude of international awards for excellence in many categories, including the Grand Pinnacle Award (twice) from the International Festivals & Events Association.
The Director of Event Production and Operations will be responsible for leading a diverse and talented team of staff members and contractors to produce multiple large and small events for the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. This role will focus heavily on the Philadelphia Flower Show as well as provide support for the other annual PHS events. This role will oversee the development, implementation and management of the operational and logistical plans for a successful execution of the events and ensure a positive guest experience. This role will work closely and collaboratively with the design and creative teams as well as with other “non-Shows and Events” PHS departments, taking ideas and plans from concept to reality.
- Oversee the Development, Implementation and Management of Operational Plans and Master Schedule for the Philadelphia Flower Show and other PHS Events.
- Manage and Supervise production and operations full time staff. The Team is supplemented with temporary and seasonal staff, interns, volunteers and other PHS team members as events require.
- Develop, Oversee, Monitor and Track Event Budgets and Allocations. Ensure the fiscal responsibility and prudent expense management of the Flower Show and other PHS Events.
- Oversee, manage and develop good working relationships with all PHS Event Production contractors including but not limited to, Construction, Electrical, A/V, Landscape, Operations, Security, First Aid/EMT, Decorator, Equipment, Trash Removal, Housekeeping, Police, etc.
- Work closely with contractors to oversee and manage all Union Labor at PHS Events.
- Work to develop good working relationship with F&B provider to ensure efficient and successful onsite management and execution.
- Work closely with and support other PHS lines of business to help them achieve and execute their goals, activations, and exhibitions.
- Work closely with the Design Team to execute established designs for a variety of displays, exhibits and gardens.
- Work closely with the Events Team to implement and execute a variety of revenue generating activities and programs.
- Work with Operations, HR and Volunteer Teams to create and implement staffing plans of Events.
- Oversee and manage our Risk Management and Safety plans for a safe and secure experience for all of our visitors, volunteers, contractors and staff.
- Manage and oversee the warehouse: organizing the staging, sets, props, equipment and supplies of PHS Event
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Passion for PHS mission
- Prefer a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience producing large public events (indoor/outdoor) (50-100k+ attendance)
- Excellent and proven leadership and decision-making skills in high stress situations
- Experience leading and managing a variety of contractors to produce large public events
- Exceptional budget management skills. Proficiency in MS Excel required
- Excellent communication skills and competencies including writing, verbal and comfortable with formal and informal presentations to small and large groups of individuals
- Ability to influence and negotiate to secure beneficial agreements and contracts
- Strong mentoring and leadership skills to sustain a culture of high-performing teamwork
- Proven collaborative and relationship-building skills
- Independent and collaborative decision-maker
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Composure under high stress and pressure situations
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent time-management skills are a necessity
- Strong understanding and knowledge of customer service
- Ability to use creativity to plan and execute tasks; ability to be resourceful
- Thinks innovatively, blending big ideas with realistic and budget conscious execution
- Solution-oriented mindset with the ability to work constructively with others in time sensitive circumstances. Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals of all ages, ethnicities, backgrounds, personalities, and abilities
- Must be enthusiastic and have high energy
- General knowledge of horticulture and landscape management a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, experience in OneDrive and G Suite collaborative tools
- Evening and weekend work will be a requirement for this position at times, with occasional long hours and highly physical and strenuous work, including being on your feet and walking for long periods of time.
- PHS is an equal opportunity employer.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society firmly believes in diversity, equity, and inclusion as the means to empower all employees, stakeholders, and partners in achieving our mission to connect people with horticulture and create beautiful, healthy, sustainable communities.