Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Scientist I to support the Lab of Integrative Multiomics, within the US Military HIV Research Program (MHRP), located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to MHRP. Click on the following link to learn more about the project and PI: Laboratory of Integrative Multiomics – Dr. Rasmi Thomas.
The incumbent will develop and conduct research projects. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products, and problems. Develops new technologies and protocols.
The Lab of Integrative Multiomics is looking for a Scientist with a strong Immunology background and experience with flow cytometry and next generation sequencing. The candidate must also have experience designing and carrying out molecular and cellular biology assays to test given hypotheses. The candidate will investigate host restriction factors in infectious diseases caused by HIV, Dengue, and Zika in the context of natural infection, treatment, and vaccine studies. Candidates must be able to multi-task and prioritize project timelines when necessary. Strong communication and inter-personal skills are required for this position. Must be able to work independently. A PhD is required. Will liaison with the bioinformatics team for data analyses.
NOTE: As a U.S. Government contractor, all HJF employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Proof of vaccination or an approved religious or medical accommodation will be required.
- Conducts research in collaboration with other scientific and technical staff within our group. (20%)
- Performs complex data analysis and interpretation. (20%)
- Develops and documents methods and procedures for experiments and data analyses. (40%)
- Prepares research data for presentation at scientific meetings and publication in peer-reviewed journals. (10%)
- Mentors, reviews, and supervises junior laboratory staff in the planning, execution, and analysis of experiments. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of extremely complex laboratory procedures.
- Background in Immunology and experience with flow cytometry and next generation sequencing required.
- Experience designing and carrying out molecular and cellular biology assays to test given hypotheses.
- Ability to meet deadlines of projects, multi-task and work independently.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and analytical skills.
Minimum Education: Doctoral degree required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum 2-5 years of experience required.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.