Nurses Defining Medicine – Med/Surg Unit
The nurses in the General Medicine Department of the George Washington University Hospital (GW Hospital) are Defining Medicine through their capacity to think, research, discover, evaluate, teach, learn, refine, and innovate. We are seeking newly licensed RNs for our medical/surgical unit who want to work in an environment which fosters positive patient outcomes through a collaborative practice model and evidence-based nursing practice. The George Washington University Hospital is a Level I Trauma Teaching Hospital. GW Hospital was recently ranked as one of the “Best Hospitals in DC” by US News and World Report. A helipad opened in 2019, which expedites care to the critically ill or injured. The hospital seeks applicants with a strong sense of social responsibility to match the hospital’s commitment to the DC/Metro community. New hospital in DC’s East End, Primary and Urgent care development in the surrounding area. Visit gwhospital.com for more information.
NURSE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
The GW Hospital nurse residency program combine lectures, e-learning, and hands on-skills lab experience with a clinical application in an acute care setting. Each intern is paired with an experienced RN preceptor in the clinical area. At the conclusion of the internship nurses begin the Nurse Residency Program as our goal is to achieve a successful and smooth transition for the new nurse. This one-year program is designed to assist the nurse in his/her continued development. The program includes monthly classes, debriefing sessions, and evidence based project, and Nurse Residency Coordinator oversight.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (one must be from a clinical instructor or professor)
- Current CPR Certification by AHA or ARC
- Successful completion of Driving Nursing Attributes Assessment.
4 South is a 44-bed General Medicine Unit that provides expert care for patients with complex, multisystem disorders. We are committed to utilizing your expertise, compassion, and kindness to transform the patient experience. There are many opportunities for growth with our Clinical Nurse Advancement Program (CNAP), shared governance committees, and unit based practice councils where your voice can make a difference.
“4 South is a dedicated team of resilient, diversity and knowledgeable staff. It is a medical unit that provides excellent medical care in a family centered environment. Our team provides patients with the best and most comprehensive care from arrival to the unit to discharge. With our excellent team work, we collaborate and share our knowledge to benefit the patients under our care. We strive to exceed our patients expectations by creating the environment that is full of love and respect. There is never a dull day in 4 South. Even in our stressful and challenging days, we pull through with love and laughter. You will never regret by joining our wonderful and loving team of staff in 4 South”- 4 South Clinical Supervisor, RN, BSN
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Collaborates care across disciplines to ensure competent and compassionate care is provided to patients with a wide range of diagnosis. This includes patient with sepsis, pneumonia, GI, as well as other medical diagnosis.
- Works closely with palliative care, acute pain management and case management to ensure patient-centric care which addresses the patient’s unique challenges and needs.
- Integrates a patient centered approach involving the patient and family into the plan of care.
- Provide safe, competent nursing care for patients in accordance with facility policies, standards, and philosophy.
- Opportunity for career advancement with our clinical progression ladder as trauma nurse, triage nurse, preceptor and charge nurse.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
Earn the recognition and support you deserve as a key member of our healthcare team.
- $100 monthly commuter subsidy
- Challenging and rewarding work environment with advanced technological systems, processes and practice
- Significant opportunities to grow and develop through job-related training, continuing education, and mobility up
- Competitive compensation and generous benefits, including 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, and excellent medical, dental, vision and prescription drug plan
- Shared Governance Model
- Clinical Nurse Advancement Program with monetary reward
- Relocation assistance
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
Passion to treat a diverse and acutely ill population:
- Graduate of an NLN or AACN accredited RN program; BSN preferred
- ACLS, PALS, or NRP (or obtained within three months of employment) in required specialty
- DC license or eligibility
- Commitment to our culture that Every Moment Matters
- Commitment to the surrounding community
About George Washington University Hospital
The George Washington University Hospital (GW Hospital) is a 385-bed tertiary care, academic medical center located in downtown Washington, DC, next to the Foggy Bottom metro. GW Hospital serves a diverse group of patients—from local residents to our nation’s leaders. As an academic medical center, GW Hospital has the resources and clinical expertise necessary to provide specialized, complex care. This expertise includes cardiac, cancer, neurosciences, women’s health, trauma, and advanced surgery including robotic and minimally invasive surgery.
GW Hospital is jointly owned and operated by George Washington University and a subsidiary of Universal Health Services, Inc. (UHS), one of the nation’s largest healthcare management companies. The GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS), adjacent to the hospital, is the 11th oldest medical center in the country and the first in the nation’s capital.
The mission of GW Hospital is to provide the highest quality healthcare, advanced medical technology, and world-class service to its patients in an academic medical center dedicated to education and research.
All UHS subsidiaries are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. UHS subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers and as such, openly support and fully commit to recruitment, selection, placement, promotion and compensation of individuals without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success.
At UHS and all our subsidiaries, our Human Resources departments and recruiters are here to help prospective candidates by matching skillset and experience with the best possible career path at UHS and our subsidiaries. We take pride in creating a highly efficient and best in class candidate experience. During the recruitment process, no recruiter or employee will request financial or personal information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not email you from a public webmail client like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If you are suspicious of a job posting or job-related email mentioning UHS or its subsidiaries, let us know by contacting us at: https://uhs.alertline.com or 1-800-852-3449.