The British Embassy is looking for a Regional Human Resources Officer for our Americas Regional Human Resources Team located in our Washington, DC office.
The role of the Regional HR Team is to provide key HR Services including recruitment, pay and reward, talent and performance management and general HR support to management and employees across the Americas region (North America, South America, the Caribbean, and Overseas Territories). The HR Regional Team forms an integral part of the global HR infrastructure to staff working in the overseas network for the UK Foreign Commonwealth, & Development Office and will lead on all region-specific HR issues in collaboration with the London based HR Directorate.
The Regional Human Resources Advisory Officer works as part of the Regional HR Hub overseeing the Americas Region. The role works under the supervision and guidance of the Regional Human Resources Advisory Manager. This position requires an extremely detail oriented, customer-focused professional, who can effectively communicate with and influence individuals at all levels of the organization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Manage and organize the inquiries inbox, Respond to telephone and email HR enquiries from country based staff in the region, according to their urgency and subject matter within relevant SLA targets;
• Provide support and advice to local FCDO staff on policies and procedures;
• Proactively liaise with managers within the region taking appropriate action on a timely basis – on probation periods, contract renewals, employment confirmation or departure processes;
• Ensure HR advice to employees is in line with the FCO HR policies and processes, such as absence, grievance, discipline, conduct and performance. Respond to and advise on sensitive employee enquiries, ensuring proper escalation if required;
• Log enquires handled recording relevant data and resolution chain to ensure all services provided are properly recorded and accounted for;
• Work closely with Posts to complete TACOs revision, updates, and interpretation of policies;
• Support annual performance appraisal cycle through communications and status reports to encourage consistent process & practice across the region;
• Manage content of the Regional HR Hubs public platform for stakeholder;
• Assist Manager with analysis of regional staff survey results and provide recommendations to Post leadership;
• Update the HR information system to reflect changes to employee data and produce reports for management in a timely fashion;
• Compile HR direct metrics, analysing the enquiries received, and taking actions to support an employee self-service model;
• Other duties as assigned. Duties subject to change after the implementation of new HRIS spring 2022;
• Bachelor’s Degree required; HR, psychology or a business-related subject preferred;
• At least 1 year of relevant work experience, including internships;
• Ability to handle confidential employee issues/information and interact with employees in a professional and sensitive manner at all times;
• Excellent oral and written communications skill;
• Excellent organizational and multitask skills;
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work with people at all levels in a fast-paced environment.
• Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team;
• Proficient in all MS Office applications, especially Word and Excel;
Under US State Department requirements, the UK Government in the US may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Permanent Residents or A visa holders with EAD cards*. If you hold a visa other than an A visa you are not currently eligible to work at our office. Please refer to our website for information on exceptions to this policy at www.gov.uk/government/world/usa. All selected candidates are subject to background checks and will require a security clearance prior to starting work.
*A visas are acceptable at the Embassy and Consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) accepts G visas, and British Defense Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas.