Producer-in-Residence is bigger than ever in 2022! TEGNA is now hiring 75 of the smartest entry-level producer candidates in the country to join the best-in-class Producer-in-Residence (PIR) development program. We’re looking for college seniors or graduate-level students with journalism or related degrees graduating in Spring 2022. We’re also looking for current producers with fewer than two years of professional producing experience for stations or websites. TEGNA interviews only the best candidates from hundreds of applicants and has them complete a timed writing test assessing their abilities to write across platforms. TEGNA selects the top 75 to join one of its 49 newsrooms across the country. You are paired with another PIR to go through the program with you over the two year program. If you want boring, traditional newscasts and digital stories, this is not for you. If you like writing unique, compelling stories whether it’s on Tik Tok or the 5 p.m. show, you should apply now.
It all starts June 27, 2022 with a one-week TEGNA boot camp where you learn in-person from the best journalists in the company how TEGNA’s culture, mission and ethics produce the most innovative journalism content anywhere, regardless of platform. Then you’ll move to your selected station where you begin a two-year contract learning how to produce content across every broadcast, digital and social platform TEGNA uses. The goal is to create the next great TEGNA content producer who can help the company transform content in the digital age while preparing you for promotion within two years into a regular producing role at any TEGNA station. PIRs have proven to be the most successful entry level producers in TEGNA since the program started in 2018. The program puts you on a path to continued promotion into larger producer and news management roles across the company. If your goal is to produce exciting content on any platform to make your community better and learn how to do it from the most innovative local news journalists around, then PIR is your dream job.
· Attend in-person training at location TBA for first week of program in late June 2022
· Live and work in one of more than 35 selected TEGNA markets to choose from
· Learn how to produce content across all broadcast, digital and social platforms TEGNA uses
· Provide consistent innovative ideas for telling stories, producing shows and creating captivating digital and social content
· Challenge traditional ways respectfully
· Attend virtual quarterly PIR trainings
· BA/BS in journalism or related field
· Experience in frequently writing original stories for college-level newscasts and/or digital news sites
· Strong social media presence with emphasis on using Instagram and Tik Tok to post innovative news content
· Internship or professional experience with media organizations preferred
· Knowledge of ENPS and Edius preferred