STR is hiring a Cyber Physical Systems Modeling and Software Engineer to be part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers and engineers dedicated to developing cutting-edge technologies with significant and immediate impact on our national security. This position offers an excellent opportunity to work at the nexus of computers and real-world physical systems. We believe that each employee has a unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives that are essential to providing our customers with innovative solutions. The skills listed below are intended to give you a sense for our Cyber Physical Systems Modeling and Software Engineer position. If you see an overlap with your skills, go ahead and apply!
The Modeling and Software Engineer must be proficient in one or more high-level languages (C/C++, Python and/or MATLAB) for building models of complex cyber physical systems which may include representations of signal processing and control systems components and algorithms. Such components will be prototyped with time and event-driven simulations and implemented on real-time hardware systems.
The Modeling and Software Engineer will also build models for sensors, actuators, dynamics and environmental factors from first principles, measured data, available documentation/literature and hardware/software artifacts. The quality and validity of the models is ensured using unit testing and effective operation after integrating the modules into larger system simulations. Knowledge and experience developing modular code compliant with well-defined component message/protocol interfaces is highly relevant. Models often include both hardware and software elements, and experience working at the software/hardware interface (e.g., serial, USB, data acquisition subsystems and device drivers) is particularly useful.
The Modeling and Software Engineer should be comfortable with the use of hardware laboratory equipment such as multi-meters, signal and power sources, and oscilloscopes. Designing and implementing data tap points in both hardware and software to assist rapid engineering analysis and performance assessments is also an important part of this position. Another responsibility will be developing and testing models and software, as well as providing supporting analysis and performance evaluations relative to metrics.
Duties will include:
- Working as part of a small, focused team to architect, develop, implement, and test applications featuring modular software design principles
- Implementing component models in Python, C/C++, and/or MATLAB and integrating models into system-level simulations with software processing chains, including development of unit-level and system-level tests and verification
- Developing integrated models using virtualization tools (e.g. QEMU, Docker), that are networked together, and launched using scripting tools (e.g. bash, python)
- Collaborating with algorithm developers to implement mathematical software and perform associated data analysis for verification
- Assisting with experiment design, performance modeling and simulation runs, and associated test verification and performance analysis using standard analysis tools (e.g., data processing in Python or MATLAB)
- Participating in laboratory and field tests to collect and analyze real-world data for model verification and validation
- Transitioning algorithms to real-time systems or prototype demonstrators
- Communicating technical foundations of models and algorithms through reports and presentations
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) Security Clearance
- BS, MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics or related field
- Proficiency in C/C++ and Python/MATLAB
- Strong grasp of linear and non-linear dynamical system modeling concepts
- Experience working with hardware components and interfaces
- Experience collecting data from hardware components and developing models
- Experience designing and implementing software modules with specified input/output data flow in accordance with defined messages/protocols
- Experience using collaborative source code management (Git, Subversion)
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Active Top Secret Security Clearance
- Familiarity with network architectures and protocols
- Familiarity with virtualization tools (e.g. Docker, QEMU)
- Experience with statistical analysis
- Implant or software patch development
STR is a rapidly growing technology company with locations north of Boston, MA, Arlington, VA and near Dayton, OH. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security, trying to understand how to protect our society: from stopping malicious botnet attacks, to understanding cyber vulnerabilities, providing next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare to developing artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, but you go home at night knowing that you pushed the forefront of technology and made the world a little safer. We recognize that the world is changing, that it is becoming more connected than ever before, making things change faster than before, and reshaping society in the process. We all want to understand this changing world and leave it better for our work.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can’t do it alone, though – we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe!
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, phone number and email address.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws