The Optical Materials group is seeking an enthusiastic Research Physicist to join our team at SRI International’s Menlo Park, California headquarters. You will have the opportunity to make important contributions to on-going and future R&D programs in nanophotonic inverse design, metasurfaces, quantum optics, and more.
SRI International is an independent nonprofit research organization with a mission to create world-changing solutions that make people safer, healthier, and more productive. From the computer mouse to robotic surgery, cancer treatments, and more, SRI’s 75 years of innovation have created new industries, billions of dollars in market value, and lasting benefits to society. SRI was instrumental in the creation of the internet, high-definition television, and the U.S Postal Service’s automated letter sorting system. Some of its many successful spinout companies include E-Trade, Siri, Symantec, Intuitive Surgical, and Nuance.
The Optical Materials group is part of the Space & Survivability Lab within the Advanced Technology and Systems Division at SRI. The lab is home to several collaborative groups that perform research and development in a variety of areas, including optical materials, advanced sensing systems, nanofabrication, energetic materials, radar systems, and atmospheric science. By and large, our lab is focused on applying academic research to address DoD applications.
In this role you will:
- Perform numerical simulations to analyze and optimize nanophotonic devices
- Apply your scientific creativity to develop new concepts and research areas
- Conduct business development and contribute to white papers and proposals
- Provide technical briefings and reports and support client engagement
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary staff
This is a junior PI-track (principal investigator) opportunity to be mentored to become a PI for new research thrusts; based on your own ideas and direct interactions with customers, both in and outside your area of academic expertise.
- PhD in Physics, Optics, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline with 0-2 years of relevant experience required.
- Higher levels of relevant experience with demonstrated independent work or task leadership skills will also be considered.
- Experience with commercial full-wave electromagnetic modeling software, such as Ansys HFSS or COMSOL Multiphysics.
- Familiarity with inverse design and/or machine learning is a plus.
- U.S. Citizenship with the ability to obtain/maintain DoD security clearance. Current clearance is a plus.
- Limited travel required.
SRI is committed to creating and celebrating a diverse workplace that recognizes and values differences, and reflects the communities where our employees live and where our clients operate. This includes valuing differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, body type/physical appearance, disability/differently abled and work styles, or any other legally protected category.
At SRI, we prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends above all else. In response to the increased transmissibility with recent variants, all SRI Employees must be fully vaccinated and provide proof thereof as a condition of continued or future employment with SRI. Accommodations due to medical or religious exemptions will be considered.