Are you a plant-loving, analytical, idea-driven person who has been itching for the opportunity to make a difference? We want to hear from you! Spring Meadow Nursery, Inc. is seeking passionate, plant-savvy horticulture professional to help us continue to change the way people think about our products.
This role works closely with the Propagation Department Manager to plan and implement all work activities relating to plant health, growth and care. Activities within the growing, propagation, stock, or research & development departments as needed. Interact closely with other department managers, supervisors, and team members concerning overall production operations.
This position is responsible for assisting with any day-to-day tasks, monitor facilities and cuttings, ensure all equipment maintenance, and oversee crew workers. This is a hands-on position that requires activities throughout the nursery.
- Oversee day-to-day tasks in Propagation Department.
- Maintain or supervise daily labor tracking in current database.
- Keep crew informed of their performance on a regular basis by posting their production percentages in a central location.
- Make sure all tasks in Propagation are completed according to established protocols.
- Maintain daily inventory of plants that are stuck and potted in nursery inventory database.
- Based on production plans, make sure all transplanting, cutting and sticking of cuttings are completed according to protocols and by required date.
- Perform physical inventories of supplies and submit orders as needed.
- Assist manager in carrying out cutting plans by following protocols for quantity, type of cutting wood, location, and hormone treatment.
- Perform daily or as needed passes through the Propagation greenhouses to make sure all plants are being misted and/or watered correctly. Monitor health of cuttings during rooting.
- Perform or supervise weekly pest counts, water and media samples and maintain ongoing records.
- Schedule pesticide and fertilizer applications. May include pesticide application
- Maintain sufficient sanitized space in greenhouses for unrooted cuttings.
- Inform manager and Maintenance Department if equipment is not functional.
- Make sure all policies and procedures are being followed by crew workers.
- Weekend, evening and holiday responsibility for entire nursery on a rotational basis shared among the other managers and assistant managers throughout the year.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Follow Spring Meadow Nursery Safety Policy.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
Associate or Bachelor’s degree in plant science-related field. Must be able to assist the crews in their daily work assignments as needed. Computer skills are required for propagation-related tasks in NAV nursery database as well as proficiency in Excel and Word. Bilingual English-Spanish skills are highly desirable.
- Must maintain a level of performance equivalent to company standards, that being a “Meets Expectations” in all areas of your performance evaluations (Self and Management reviews).
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
This organization participates in E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification. If you require an accommodation in the application process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team at (616) 846-4729.
Job Type: Full time, salary (exempt)
Benefits: Eligible, subject to new hire waiting period.