Job ID: 17260
Agency: Department of Corrections – South Dakota Women’s Prison
Salary: $21.49 – $22.56 per hour, depending on experience
Pay Grade: GI
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Corrections. For more information on the Department of Corrections, please visit http://doc.sd.gov.
The South Dakota Department of Corrections does more than manage inmates, we prepare an individual to successfully reintegrate into society. We are searching for a teacher to provide effective programs that enhance public safety and prepare individuals for success after release. DOC employees are driven by a deep sense of service, high standards of professionalism and a responsibility to better serve our state and our communities.
- More than just a job but the start of a successful career.
- Supportive environment where employee growth is promoted.
- Comprehensive benefits package & competitive wages.
- Paid holidays.
- Paid job training & other great incentives.
The incumbent will serve as a teacher and work with the other academic staff teaching coursework to adult female inmates incarcerated in the South Dakota Women’s prison. Classes are taught on a year round basis. Flexibility to teach a variety of coursework is necessary.
- providing classroom instruction to inmates in any of three GED subject areas (math, English, and science);
- teach courses such as Assertiveness and Interpersonal Skills (materials provided) and Moving On (training provided);
- facilitate outside teachers coming in to teach courses such as financial responsibility or parenting;
- perform administrative duties such as record keeping, creating student schedules, and logging hours;
- classroom preparation, review and selection of materials, attend meetings, and perform other duties as assigned.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Licenses and Certifications:
A teaching certificate is not required. However, in order to teach GED courses, the applicant is required to have a degree in a field that allows them to obtain a teaching certificate.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A passion and eagerness to help prepare and promote growth for individuals working towards their next stage of life. Previous teaching experience would also be beneficial.
- effective teaching methods for adults with diverse learning abilities;
- current curriculum development techniques;
- classroom preparation, resource materials selection.
- maintain accountability and motivate students;
- learn and enforce program structure and the procedures of the facility;
- work effectively as a member of our team at the Women’s Prison.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo an extensive professional and criminal background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online:
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
“An Equal Opportunity Employer”