UI/UX Designer Internship
In just 10 years, by 2030, 50% of school-aged children will be failing or not enrolled in schools. Education is the biggest human rights / civil rights issue of this generation. We believe everyone deserves access to a high-quality education so that they can build the lives they want to live.
About the Organization:
SmartCourse.io is a NEW high-growth, accelerated, technology-based, social impact startup optimizing education and healthcare for kids with special needs and their caregivers. Caregivers like parents, educators and health professionals spend too many years and too much money trying to treat kids with special needs or mental health issues. Our products help them to do it in weeks, for a fraction of the cost, using digital products to educate these caregivers on how to best care for and teach kids with special needs so that they can meet their social, behavioral, and academic goals.
We also plan to make technologies that optimize individual learning and caregiving for schools/educators, parents, and health professionals (B2B and/or B2G). We also plan to offer our products to large enterprises (e.g. Amazon, Walmart, etc.) to include them as part of their health benefits for their employees with special needs or with family members who have special needs.
Ever present is the end in mind: revolutionizing the education system for all kids everywhere since the whole world will soon have access to the internet. We are already on our way to achieving this by working with:
- world-leading health professionals (e.g. psychiatrists, psychologists, behavioral therapists, etc.)
- educators (e.g. school admins, special education teachers, etc.)
- startup mentors, advisors, and incubators/accelerators (e.g. Teachable’s EdTech Incubator, Startup Boost’s Pre-Accelerator, Hubspot’s Growth Accelerator, HealthVenture’s HealthTech accelerator, the world’s largest EdTech accelerator: StartEd, and YCombinator’s Startup School) Our advisers include professors, researchers, EdTech founders, HealthTech founders, product managers, venture capitalists, and investors.
What have we achieved?
- Around 90% of startups fail. Most businesses take 2-5 years to become profitable.
- We became profitable in just 1 month. In our 1st year, without spending any money on marketing or engineering, we’ve acquired over 80 thousand users, over 4400 email subscribers, over 400 customers, and over $80k in revenue. $20k of which was earned within the last month. Based on our demand and feedback, we know our products are both life-changing and deeply needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take ownership of Product teams’ OKRs & KPIs, and delivers in advance of deadlines with Agile Methodology using Asana, Slack and GSuite
- Improve our products, satisfaction scores, NPS, & our north star metric (# of products per user) using hard skills explained throughout the application by improving the frontend user interface
- Embody our team-wide core values of autonomy, growth mindedness, individual and group empowerment, selflessness, fearlessness, and perseverance and our team-specific values we’ll be looking for throughout your application
- Display exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills (proactive communication)
- Have a passion for social change, learning, education, healthcare, technology, and/or startups
- Proficient in Figma or similar software
- Skilled in platforms of Wix, Google Analytics, Tag Manager & Optimize
- Must have at least 2 years of professional work experience or equivalent (e.g. research, internships, demonstrated skill)
- Have a track record of success in academic and/or professional settings
- Willing to work as an intern or early-stage employee in exchange for a kickass learning experience, commission, bonuses, profit-share, and/or an equity-based payment plan depending on your performance (determined over a 14 to 90 day trial period and discussed on an individual basis.)
- Full-time (40+ hours/week) (Preferred) OR Part-time (20+ hours/week)
- For an immediate start, end dates are negotiable throughout the year.
- We’re based in NYC, but all positions can be entirely remote, and we’ve had many outstanding colleagues all over the world.
- Our work day is from 10AM-6PM ET and we’ll consider candidates with a maximum + or – 6 hours time difference. Daily standups and team meetings are at set times, and you would need to be available for those:
10AM – 11:30AM ET every weekday
10AM – 2PM ET on Mondays, Tuesdays & Thursdays
5PM – 6PM ET on Wednesdays
3PM – 6PM ET on Fridays
- Are skilled (or wishes to be) in, team building games, Among Us, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and/or a team-building game of your choosing!
Some reasons you might be interested:
- You want to hone your creative media skills, UI/UX design, or full stack web development skills and see how they perform in a business context
- You are looking to start your own company, dive into entrepreneurship, or want a fast-tracked career towards an executive position (e.g. technical co-founder CTO/CPO or COO/CFO)
- You want to bring your interests in child development, research, education, or clinical work into a more applied setting and translate it into actions that are directly relevant to families
- You want to collect data from parents, practice data analysis skills, and present findings in relevant settings
- You want to meet and network with leading professionals in the field (educational psychologists, clinical psychologists, educational specialists, etc.)
- You want to get involved in the Education Technology and/or Healthcare Technology / MedTech spaces which are growing exponentially, especially for students with special needs
- You’re interested in entrepreneurship, startups, and/or technology and want to put your interests to good use
- You want high-impact work experience to help you grow quickly with leadership development and career support from our serial entrepreneur founder who built and helped build over a dozen 6-figure businesses, one of which was another startup with over $2 million of funding commitment, and all of them launched within less than 1 year
We’re recruiting all across the organization so you might be interested in: research, media, content marketing, sales, product management, UI/UX design, full stack web development, recruiting, accounting, legal, project management, agile methodology, just to name a few. We could use help in all departments, so this is a rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor and secure an executive position.
– Other open roles: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Smart-Course-1/
– Website: https://smartcourse.io
– Identity Document: https://bit.ly/sc-identity
We’ll be growing very quickly over the next semester.
If you might be interested in hearing more about this, we’d appreciate the opportunity to meet you.
We have been truly inspired by the interest, alignment, and professional caliber so far.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Founder & CEO | Smart Course | smartcourse.io