Computer-Aided Drug Design Internship
*WE WILL INTERVIEW APPLICANTS ON A ROLLING BASIS & AROUND EXAM SCHEDULES
Shock Therapeutics Biotech is a therapeutic antibody development company in search of an Intern eager to dive into the world of antibody engineering and computer-aided drug design (CADD). This internship will be both virtual and in-person – targeting 5 hours in each setting per week, for a total of 10 hours. Transportation can be provided if necessary and weekend schedules can be accommodated around your commitments and classes. This is an unpaid educational internship, though it would be an excellent fit to fulfill undergraduate or graduate course credits.
This position will offer the opportunity for you to experience the inner workings of a biotechnology startup and take part in the drug development process for a new product. The primary focus of the Intern’s work will be working with a member of our leadership team on a real computer-aided drug design program. We are working to create a novel antibody molecule on a powerful computation platform, and you would work directly with our team helping to design drug candidates.
Shock Therapeutics Biotech is an early-stage biotech startup working to advance a discovery made by our founders on the underlying cause of hemorrhagic shock and a method to reverse the condition to buy time for life-saving care.
The intern will be exposed to the intersection of science and business management including:
· Scientific Literature Research
· Computational Drug Design
· Antibody Discovery and Engineering Strategies
· In Vitro Design and Validation Strategies
· In Vivo Design and Validation Strategies
· Project Management Principles
· Business Analysis in Life Science
Weeks 1-4: Orientation, Training, and Knowledge Transfer:
· Goal Planning
· Research Training
· Training on CADD Software
· Introductory Project with CADD Software
Week 5+: You’ll now be oriented with our program, and you’ll dive into smaller projects each week which will ultimately assist our broader goals. Project Examples:
· Computational Antibody Modeling
· Antibody Sequence Analysis
· Antibody-Ligand Docking
· Antibody Developability Analysis
· Antibody Stability Engineering
· Antibody Affinity Engineering
In this role, you will have regular contact with our executive leadership team to give you an opportunity to explore questions and develop professionally. You will have regular one-on-one video calls (weekly) with someone from our leadership team to discuss your project and get feedback and direction. Additionally, everyone on our leadership team will be available to you by email and phone throughout the day. While using CADD software in our office – you will have someone as a constant resource.
There will be monthly career development meetings with a member of our team to help you learn more about possible paths in this industry and to develop yourself professionally.
You will also get to virtually “sit-in” on leadership meetings as your schedule allows and be given the opportunity to dive into the topics of discussion further after the meeting with someone from our team.
Expected Time Distribution:
- Project work – 75%
- Video Conference meetings – 10%
- Project Clerical Work – 10%
- Other Projects and Work as Assigned – 5%
- Applicants should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (preferably in a life-science related field)
- Solid foundations in biology, chemistry, and physics – particularly with regards to proteins
- High proficiency with independent self-guided research
- Ability to organize, plan, and execute projects
- Research skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Or tell us in a cover letter why your skills are right for this position!
Interested Applicants should submit the following:
- Example of past research project demonstrating critical thinking
- Unofficial Transcript
Please submit your application through Handshake or send your application package and any questions to email@example.com
Shock Therapeutics Biotechnologies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment, including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
About Shock Therapeutics Biotechnologies, Inc.
Shock Therapeutics Biotech is an early-stage biopharma company developing a novel biologic treatment for shock. We were founded by a retired trauma surgeon and a research physiologist who made a revolutionary discovery as to the underlying cause of shock caused by trauma and a way to reverse the condition just minutes before imminent death.
1100 Wicomico Street
Baltimore MD, 21230