SEC Pathway, Inc. is a Nonprofit Organization dedicated to restoring hope and success by providing financial, academic and professional development resources for youth aged K-12 and to adults between the ages of 18-65, in low-income and low resource households.
Summary of Position: This position is an excellent fit for individuals looking to develop skills in nonprofit financial analytics. We are looking for a Financial Analyst to provide accurate and data based information on company’s profitability, solvency, stability and liquidity. You will research and analyze financial information to help company make well informed decisions, write reports and monitor financial movements.The intern will gain a broad exposure to the inner workings of a start-up nonprofit organization. He or she will assist the Financial Manager in overall administration and logistics of every day programming. The intern will perform work directly related to the general business operations of SEC Pathway, Inc. This internship is unpaid, but eligible for academic or course credit if approved by your educational institution.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Financial Manager with tracking of expenses and data entry
- Determines cost of operations by establishing standard costs; collecting operational data.
- Identifies financial status by comparing and analyzing actual results with plans and forecasts.
- Guides cost analysis process by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures; providing trends and forecasts; explaining processes and techniques; recommending actions.
- Improves financial status by analyzing results; monitoring variances; identifying trends; recommending actions to management.
- Reconciles transactions by comparing and correcting data.
- Maintains database by entering, verifying, and backing up data.
- Recommends actions by analyzing and interpreting data and making comparative analyses; studying proposed changes in methods and materials.
- Increases productivity by developing automated accounting applications; coordinating information requirements.
- Protects operations by keeping financial information confidential.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing publications.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Physical Demands: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds occasionally. Must be able to sit for long periods.
Work Environment: This is a part-time (20-30 hr. /week) position open to applicants currently attending an Accredited University or College within Maryland, DC, and Virginia. The Financial Analyst reports directly to the CEO and Financial Manager. Travel throughout the city will be required to attend mandatory meetings such as outreach and community events, and meetings with Partners and potential clients. Applicant must have access to a computer to be able to work remotely and/or provide own transportation to D.C. Headquarters. *Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the Organization is operating on both an in-person and remote teleworking schedule format at this time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient in spreadsheets, databases, MS Office and financial software applications
- Hands on experience with statistical analysis and statistical packages
- Outstanding presentation, reporting and communication skills
- Proven knowledge of financial forecasting and diagnosis, corporate finance and information analysis
- Well informed in current financial subjects, accounting, tax laws, money market and business environments