ABOUT US: Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
POSITION TITLE: Research Assistant I – NE
Under minimal supervision, independently and in collaboration with others perform research and conduct a wide variety of standard laboratory procedures for projects; analyze data and interpret results; investigate, troubleshoot and modify methods and procedures as necessary; may assist in designing experiments; may provide routine equipment maintenance as well as guidance/training to other department personnel; perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required or assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and executing biological assays for the purpose of High-Throughput Screening. This involves operating automated ancillary laboratory automation to execute HTS assays in 96-, 384-, and/or 1536-well format plates.
- Work with internal scientific, information technology and engineering support personnel to successfully develop, and implement miniaturized HTS assays.
- Operate vendor software that interfaces with automated equipment and processes large amounts of HTS-related data.
- Liaise with engineers to provide interface between them and robotic automation and the implemented assays.
- Operate LC-MS platform and completes analysis to determine mass and purity of test compounds. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Further details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained.
- Requires 1-3 years of experience.
- Candidates possessing a master’s degree, 0-2 years experience.
Prefer bachelor’s or master’s degree in physical sciences or engineering and 0-1 years related experience in biology or chemistry, analytical or HTS laboratory preferred. Practical understanding of biology and chemistry, with biochemistry, and/or cell biology preferred. Demonstrated technical proficiency performing complicated lab techniques, including equipment operation, liquid handling, and automation. Demonstrated proficiency with MS office, particularly Excel & Access. Excellent communication and interpersonal and team skills. Attention to detail, strong mathematical & analytical background. Florida & Palm Beach County residents are preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.