Principal Scientist/Associate Director, Protein Sciences
Calibr is seeking exceptionally talented Principal Scientist / Associate Director candidates to lead the protein engineering and expression team within the biologics discovery team at Calibr. This position will be responsible for directing a group of scientists to design, produce, and characterized protein candidates that have the potential to become next generation therapies. The team will work as part of a larger team of interdisciplinary scientists to profile molecules, select leads, and translate candidates into first in human clinical trials. Programs under the responsibility of this position will focus on antibody engineering, including bi, tri, and multispecific antibodies, in the development of novel immuno-oncology agents. However, the role will also provide protein to support to a wide range of projects at Calibr including infectious and neglected tropical diseases, metabolic disorders, autoimmunity, and other rare disease indications. Calibr is a highly engaging and collaborative place with work and this position will be encouraged to engage in the seamless flow of ideas within and between research groups. This position is expected to bring with them the proficiencies listed below and can expect to receive world class training in translational medicine at Calibr. Primary responsibilities will include resource management, keeping up to date on current literature, development and implementation of state-of-the-art processes, infrastructure/instrumentation management, development of reports, presentations to key stakeholders, database management, and management of personnel. Wet lab work may be within the scope of this position to train personnel in cloning, protein expression and purification, and biophysical characterization. Candidates with exceptional experience in antibody engineering who are looking to take the next steps in their career and join a high impact team are encouraged to apply. This position offers significant growth opportunity through promotion structures designed to retain exceptional talent within the Calibr team.
- A strong background in protein expression platforms including HEK, CHO, E. coli, is essential. Experience in yeast and insect is advantageous.
- A strong background in protein purification is essential. The candidate should be proficient at FPLC, HPLC, gravity drip columns, and a wide range of affinity and capture technologies including SEC, IEX, mixed-mode, etc.
- A strong background in molecular biology including DNA isolation and purification, construct design, and assembly-based cloning is essential.
- A strong background in biophysical characterization of proteins is essential. Important competencies include, but are not limited to, RP, IEX, SEC chromatography, biacore & octet, and HR-MS of proteins.
- Experience in upstream and downstream process development is important but not required.
- Experience in medium and high throughput protein expression is highly advantageous for this role.
- Experience in tech transfer of processes to CROs is useful.
- Experience in wave bag expressions and fermentations is helpful.
- Outstanding organization skills and experience in preparing scientific and technical documents including detailed data reports, protocols, CoTs is important.
- Experience using graphing programs such as Prism, Excel, JMP, or Spotfire software is important.
- Experience in retro, lenti, or AAV based viral vectors is important but not essential
- Master’s degree with 7+ years’ experience; PhD with 6+ years’ experience, post degree, in protein chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry or relevant scientific discipline.
- Previous experience managing a team of scientists
- Industry experience is strongly preferred, but outstanding candidates without industry experience may also be considered.
- Excellent ability to perform hands on experiments, attention to detail, research, design, and organize project designs and maintain detailed documentation.
- Highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals.
- Able to collaborate proficiently and communicate effectively with colleagues and management teams.
- Able to contribute in a meaningful way to scientific discourse.
- Details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Scripps is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually.