About Us: The Burton Laboratory at Scripps Research seeks a highly motivated Laboratory Manager to function as a primary team leader for a multi-disciplinary research group focused on developing rational vaccine strategies, particularly against HIV and particularly using an approach termed “Reverse Vaccinology 2.0”. In this approach, broadly neutralizing antibodies isolated from natural HIV infection are investigated in interaction with their sole viral target, the HIV Envelope, and the data used to guide immunogen design and immunization strategies. Immunogens are then evaluated in detail in animal models and the results used to iteratively improve immunogens as we move toward an HIV vaccine suitable to protect humans.
Position Title: Scientific Associate
Position Summary: The Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Research in La Jolla, California is seeking a highly motivated researcher with strong managerial and organizational skills to join our team.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skill and abilities have been attained.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience. Wet-lab experience of molecular biology, protein chemistry and immunological and virological techniques are all an advantage.
- Oversees all BSL 2/3 laboratory operations, including equipment acquisition, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Manages and implements operating procedures and standards to ensure laboratory safety and overall organization and cleanliness, including specialized safety training programs.
- Manage inventory and purchasing of laboratory supplies and reagents, working with groups within the lab to reconcile orders, invoices, and receipt confirmations.
- Coordinate equipment services including calibration, maintenance, service contract renewal, software and hardware upgrades and validation/qualification activities for existing equipment. Trouble-shoot reported instrument errors to determine whether service needs to be initiated. Request and coordinate equipment repairs and service. Request and negotiate quotes and service contracts. Maintain equipment database, calendars, tagging, audits and annual federal inventory.
- Primary contact for after-hours equipment alarms.
- Hires, trains, assigns, prioritizes, and schedules work for student interns. Assesses research staff performance and gives feedback.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate overall general lab activities, maintenance of laboratory workspace and its equipment, establishing laboratory protocols, ensuring compliance with institute laboratory safety practices, freezer archives, ordering and maintaining inventory of supplies, consumables and reagents.
- Will also provide general supervision of day-to day laboratory functions, exercise authority over personnel decisions and perform junior staff performance evaluations.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse research environment and to work in a leadership role as lab manager. Facilitate effective communication and interactions with scientists, facilities staff, and outside collaborators or facilities. Maintain vendor relationships.
- Create, amend, and renew MTA/IBC/IACUC/IRB registration and other paperwork (e.g. import, shipping documents).
- Laboratory COVID Coordinator. (Institute policy liaison)
- On-board new lab members. (Includes safety training and assigning bench and desk space)
- Undertake other tasks and projects, as needed.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills to effectively manage a diverse workforce.
- Strong communication skills that enable the individual to interact with all levels of management, technical and scientific personnel.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, establishing and maintaining good working relationships with P.I., supervisor, postdoctoral scholars, and other members of the research group.
- Proven experience in general laboratory housekeeping procedures including maintaining inventory and equipment, ordering supplies, preparing solutions, maintaining a clean and safe laboratory environment.
- Knowledge of EH&S regulations and requirements for laboratory safety, including methods for handling, cleaning and disposal of waste.
- Track and provide input on salary increases and promotions for Research Technicians/Assistants.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction, be detail-oriented and follow stepwise instruction.
This position works in a laboratory environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually. New hires will work remotely, unless specifically authorized for campus access.