Are you interested in making a huge difference in the lives of high school students, working to show others the difference a college education can make in their lives? Is helping others a critical contribution you want to make right now? If the answer is yes, then you might be exactly who we are looking for.
What A Day in the Life of a STEM Scholar Coach Is Like
The Schuler Scholar Program seeks recent college grads to serve as STEM Scholar Coaches (SCs). STEM SCs work closely with Scholars at one of our partner high schools and are responsible for delivering Schuler programs and serve as mentors. Coaches work directly with Scholars in one-on-one and in group settings. Candidates should be passionate about working with students from diverse backgrounds, including first generation college students. The qualified candidate will display strong academic achievement, be highly organized, possess strong leadership and interpersonal skills and effectively work independently as well as in teams.
What Are The Responsibilities of a STEM Scholar Coach
- Serve as an academic mentor and coach for caseload of approximately 10-15 Scholars; changes each semester based on need
- Facilitate 1:1 Schuler program sessions, including reading coaching and academic tutoring
- Facilitate large group (20-30 Scholars) after school Schuler program sessions that focus on academic success and personal development
- Plan, chaperone and drive Scholars to cultural exposures including theatre, ballet, opera, and museums
- Maintain comprehensive note taking system for Scholar caseload
- Transport Scholars as needed to a variety of Schuler sponsored events including after school and weekend events
- Take on additional responsibilities as required by various Project Coordinator positions
- Assist Scholars with Summer College Program application process
- Participate in Scholar Selection Process
- Chaperone up to week-long college visits
- Plan and facilitate range of academic summer programs
Every year we seek STEM SC candidates who can speak Spanish. Because a significant portion of our Scholars come from Spanish speaking families, it is critical to have Spanish Coordinators to assist in both oral and written Spanish communication.
STEM SCs receive program specific training throughout the school year. Schuler ensures that STEM SCs feel prepared, confident and supported while working with students and facilitating programs. STEM SCs can also take advantage of various professional development opportunities.
What Core Competencies Make A Scholar Coach Successful
● Coaching and Mentoring
● Planning and Organizing
● Development and Continual Learning
What We Offer
Salary- $36,000 plus $1000 one-time relocation signing award. Comprehensive medical/ dental/vision plans, 403(B) with employee match, generous PTO, individual professional development budget, Schuler funded social events, shorter summer hours and more.
Schuler Staff who have worked for the Schuler Scholar Program are eligible for a $10,000 Education Award after four years of employment. The Award can be used toward paying current eligible student loans or toward tuition for an advanced degree.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to participate in up to three interviews
1. Phone screen
2. Video interview
3. Video call interview with School Team Panel
We live our Schuler Values every day in everything we do:
Always Personal Best | All In | 1 Scholar at a Time | Innovative Mindset