Manager: Scientist III
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a Stem Cell Engineering Scientist to join our Cell Therapy Research Group. Work will include generating in vitro and in vivo proof-of-concept data to support development of genome modified cell therapy products (such as engineered human iPSCs and regulatory T cells for adoptive cell therapy). The position requires adaptability, creativity, the ability to manage research associate(s), good written and verbal communication skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is exciting and fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of genome editing research.
- Design and execute cell engineering strategies to generate genetically modified iPSCs and T cells for the cell therapy program. Includes design and cloning of constructs for viral/non-viral delivery to target cells
- Phenotypic and functional characterization of engineered human iPSCs, primary human regulatory T cells, and other cell types
- Support assay development and execution to assess iPSC, regulatory T cell, and other cell type function
- Successfully execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Work cross-functionally with other research teams and with other departments within the company to support product characterization at different stages of development
- Present results internally to R&D and executive leadership teams and externally at scientific conferences
- Ph.D. in developmental/stem cell biology, immunology, biochemistry and molecular biology, or related field
- Strong background in molecular biology, cell engineering, and gene and cell therapy, including expertise in cloning and in vitro transcription
- Experience with human iPSC culture, differentiation, reprogramming, and characterization protocols
- Experience in viral (lentiviral and AAV vectors) and non-viral (ssDNA, dsDNA, and mRNA) based gene delivery systems
- Experience quantifying indels in gene-edited samples via sequencing (Sanger/NGS)
- Must be comfortable in a fast-paced research environment and demonstrate a dynamic work ethic based upon changing priorities
- Experience with flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Experience with single cell genomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic analyses
- Experience with antibody / bead-based cell selection systems
Scientist I: PhD and 0-2+ years of relevant industry experience
Scientist II: PhD and 2-5+ years of relevant industry experience
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through Recruiting@sangamo.com. Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone from the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.