Manager: Senior Scientist
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today’s medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
We are seeking a talented Research Associate to support the development of new genome editing and gene therapy programs for the treatment of genetic diseases.
The successful candidate will work within the research team utilizing cutting edge genome editing and gene therapy technology to design new ways to treat genetic diseases. Responsibilities include: support the generation of novel reagents, implement cellular and molecular assays for reagent characterization in vitro and in vivo, and generate proof-of-concept data to support the advancement of targets. The position requires a strong background in molecular biology, adaptability, creativity, good written and verbal communication skills, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work at the leading edge of genome engineering research and translational medicine.
- Perform molecular cloning, sequencing and DNA/RNA/protein production to generate constructs required for mRNA electroporation and AAV and LV vector production
- Conduct aseptic cell culture of mammalian primary cells and cell lines
- Transduction of cell culture with AAV and/or LV vectors
- Process cultured cells and animal tissue and cells for RNA, DNA, and protein
- Insertion/deletion (INDEL) analysis
- Expertise in molecular and biochemical methods (qRT-PCR, flow cytometry, ELISA, western blotting, next gen sequencing)
- Successfully execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Data analysis and reporting, including writing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- B.S. or higher with 2+ years of technical experience in academic or industry settings (level will be determined by skills, experience and education)
- Strong knowledge and skills in molecular biology (molecular cloning, PCR, DNA/RNA/protein purification, sequencing, ELISA, western blot)
- Hands-on experience with mRNA transfection and AAV or LV transduction
- Hands on experience in mammalian tissue culture (hepatocyte or hematopoietic cells)
- Hands on experience with various molecular cloning techniques and next-generation DNA sequencing methods
- Preferred candidates will have experience working with gene therapy or genome editing techniques (zinc fingers, TALENs, CRISPR, etc).
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment with minimal supervision
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Geneious, and GraphPad Prism.
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Experience with flow cytometry or cell-based functional assays is a plus
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through Recruiting@sangamo.com. Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone from the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.