Ideal Candidate: A strong background and interest in environmental or sustainability-related topics. Particular knowledge in sustainability planning, greenhouse gas emissions inventories, water resource management, and sustainable food systems preferred. Must have excellent writing, research, and data collection skills, along with attention to detail.
Minimum Required Qualifications: Enrolled in or graduated from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in an environmental or sustainability-related subject. Certification and previous professional internship or working experience preferred.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not currently able to sponsor visas.
Position Summary: This position is responsible for supporting the environmental and sustainability efforts at the Region 1 Planning Council. There is flexibility for this position in regards to both time and location of work.
Initial focus will be on solid waste and water management planning, as well as supporting the RPC Environmental Committee.
Other illustrative examples of work to be performed include:
· Provides research, writing, and support for sustainability-related plans, reports, studies, and applications.
· Implements quantitative and qualitative research methodology.
· Assist in maintaining key economic and demographic datasets, and researching and identifying additional datasets to be tracked.
· Assist in maintaining and growing environmental and sustainability-related datasets.
· Supports the Sustainability Team in the creation and implementation of various organizational projects.
· Assists in the development of current and long-term sustainability goals.
· Provides timely, routine reports of satisfactory progress toward goals and objectives.
· Learns and reports on key environmental and sustainability trends and issues.
Critical knowledge and fundamental skills required for the position, include:
· Initiative to problem-solve, develop plans, and follow-through.
· Ability to appropriately prioritize responsibilities, complete work in a timely manner, and meet deadlines.
· Ability to adapt as the organization develops and evolves.
· Ability to conduct oneself in a professional environment.
Internship: Rather than offering pre-defined internships, we invite candidates to apply for a customized internship that maximizes mutual benefit.
To be considered for the internship program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Interested in career paths associated with the departments and functions within RPC; for a listing, visit http: //r1planning.org/services/
2. Commit to 20-32 hours per week for the duration of the internship period
3. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
4. Preference will be given to students with a permanent address within the RPC service area; those enrolled in programs of study directly related to community development, economic development, economics, urban and regional planning, public policy, transportation planning, technical writing, or similar; and/or students with an academic requirement for an internship.
Region 1 Planning Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion.