Under immediate supervision, performs routine department work and special projects using knowledge and skills obtained through education, experience and/or specialized training. Performs assignments that support senior analysts, traders and institutional sales. Responsible for thorough analysis of projects, offering circulars, current events, and other documents related to the offerings, and client presentations, as well as conducting research related to existing and prospective clients. May be responsible for complete projects or specific aspects of them, depending on their complexity and scope. As interns gain experience, they are expected to increase their capacity to process a larger portion of a given transaction. Guidance is provided to perform varied work that is difficult in nature requiring evaluation, originality and ingenuity to make moderately complex decisions. All projects will be related to municipal/corporate/mortgage bond sales, trading and research, with respect to institutional accounts – banks, credit unions, insurance companies, money managers, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Gain an understanding of programs and processes to support NY Fixed Income Sales, Trading and Research efforts.
· Work with spreadsheets and databases regarding certain projects.
· Help alter processes to maximize efficiency.
· Develop ideas to support sales, research and trading.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications – External
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Fundamental investment concepts, practices and procedures used in the securities industry.
· Basic knowledge of Fixed Income procedures, regulatory requirements, transactions and client relationships.
· Financial markets and products.
· Basic business case analysis.
· Financial analysis and data modeling.
· Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to all level of associates and clients.
· Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications to produce documents such as reports, graphics, electronic communication, spreadsheets, and databases.
· Multi-task and work on a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
· Efficiently manage time and resources in order to overcome quantitative and analytical challenges.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
· Work under stress restricted by time deadlines and work volume fluctuations.
· Communicate both orally and in writing, with all levels of the organization and external clients.
· Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
· Junior or Senior standing student pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) or Master’s Degree in Finance, Economics, or related field at an accredited university.
· Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training as approved by Human Resources.