Design Research Intern – Product Development – Summer 2022
While most people know us best for the beloved little red wagon, Radio Flyer is always dreaming up FUNomenal new ways to deliver joy to families by introducing new products every year. Radio Flyer is a recognized leader in the toy industry, headquartered in Chicago. From go-karts and scooters to kids’ bikes and the Lithium-Ion Tesla Model S for Kids, our Chicago-based team innovates in every product category we enter and we are looking for talented individuals to join our award-winning team!
For over a century, Radio Flyer has served as the first set of wheels for generations of kids. We have helped inspire creative play as wagons transformed into rocket ships, race cars and airplanes, transporting children anywhere they imagined. Now, with over a billion Radio Flyer wheels on the road, we have introduced our biggest innovation for all the kids at heart – Flyer is a line of electric bikes and scooters, our first ever product line created for adult riders.
Radio Flyer has consistently been recognized as a top workplace nationally and locally. Our team has received numerous awards over the years including Fortune’s Best Small & Medium Workplaces, Chicago Innovation Awards, People Magazine’s Companies that Care, the Daily Herald’s Best Places to Work in Illinois, and Vault Top 50 Intern Programs nationwide. Robert Pasin, Chief Wagon Officer and grandson of company founder Antonio Pasin, was recently recognized as a Top CEO of 2021 on Glassdoor. Radio Flyer is also proud to have been named a top workplace for women, minorities, and LGBTQ+ community members over the years by Crain’s, Daily Herald and Vault.
At Radio Flyer, we welcome and appreciate all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives — encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We are committed to a culture that embraces feedback, collaboration, and innovation to achieve great results and drive business growth. At Radio Flyer we live by the Little Red Rule, “Every time we touch people’s lives, they will feel FUNomenal!”
The Design Research Intern position will play a key role in the continued growth and success of the company. This is a paid opportunity.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Conduct secondary research such as product review mining, analysis of expert articles, and evaluating user generated content to find product pain points and uncover consumer needs
- Assist the research team with consumer recruiting, child product testing, survey building, and research documentation
- Participate in consumer interviews with the Design Research team by assisting with note taking and documentation
- Synthesize research findings into key insight to present out to Product Development team members. Use these insights to structure and conduct brainstorms with designers and engineers
- The ideal candidate is junior or senior pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree, majoring in Industrial Design, Psychology, Anthropology, Social Science, or another related field
- Resumes can be accompanied by a sample portfolio that shows breadth and depth of design research experience
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Experience using SurveyMonkey is a plus
Above all, the individual must commit to our values:
FUNatical Customer Service
Live with Integrity
Yes I Can
Excellence in Everything
Responsible for Success
We are looking for people who live our values and support our vision and mission!
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
We are committed to providing a safe working environment for all employees. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current employees, as well as all newly hired employees. Radio Flyer will consider accommodations for disability and religious based reasons as required by law.
Please apply online at www.radioflyer.com/careers