Job Description Summary
- The PhD Scientist, Discovery Chemist contributes to PTC’s drug discovery efforts by designing and synthesizing small molecules to support early discovery hit-to-lead projects as well as chemical tools to probe biological systems. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing early medicinal chemistry projects as well as independently planning and executing chemical biological studies as needed with the purpose of identifying druggable therapeutic targets and elucidating mechanisms of action.
- The selected candidate is also responsible for interpreting and communicating experimental results to his/her supervisor and the project team.
- With guidance from the advisor plans, initiates and executes synthetic organic chemistry experiments and interprets and communicates results as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories related to synthetic organic chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Chemical Biology and Biochemistry.
- Develops and applies medicinal chemistry knowledge and skills
- Presents findings internally to cross-functional teams.
- Participates in the development and writing of patent applications
- Abides by all safety and regulatory guidelines.
- Maintains a detailed laboratory notebook.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
- Broad knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry, reaction mechanism, and retrosynthetic planning.
- Experience with and knowledge of chemical proteomics and/or chemical transcriptomics.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively under direct supervision, in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment.
- Excellent planning, organization, and time management skills
* Minimum level of education and years of relevant work experience.
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline preferably in Organic Chemistry, plus, 1-2 years postdoctoral research in the field of Chemical Biology OR PhD in Chemical Biology or related Biology discipline, plus 1-2 years postdoctoral research in Organic/Medical Chemistry.
****Note: Please include a detailed summary of your research in addition to your resume********
****Applications not including a detailed research summary will not be considered***********
* Travel requirements
Up to 10%
*Physical requirements (only note if the job requires physical capacity beyond general office work)
Laboratory based position.