Job Description Summary
The PhD Scientist, Chemistry contributes to PTC’s drug discovery efforts by synthesizing small molecules in support of internal lead optimization programs. The incumbent is responsible for independently planning and executing synthetic organic chemistry protocols to efficiently obtain desired targets for biological assays. The selected candidate is also responsible for interpreting and communicating experimental results to his/her supervisor and the project team.
- With guidance from the advisor, plan and propose synthetic routes to target compounds.
- Efficiently execute the synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecules.
- Analyze data, interpret and communicate results as part of an internal multi-disciplinary team.
- Develop and apply medicinal chemistry knowledge and skills.
- Keep abreast of recent scientific developments, patents and primary literature.
- Prepare presentation materials and clearly communicate research results at meetings.
- Participate in the development and writing of patent applications.
- Keep laboratory environment safe and well-organized.
- Abide by all safety and regulatory guidelines.
- Maintain a detailed laboratory notebook according to corporate standards and SOPs.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Broad range of organic chemistry knowledge.
- Planning and performing of complex multi-step organic syntheses, retro-synthetic analysis.
- Extensive repertoire of classic and modern reactions including transition metal catalysis.
- Strong communication skills, work ethic, enthusiasm and self-starter mentality.
- Creative problem solver in the face of synthesis and project difficulties.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, matrixed, team environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills.
- Highly goal-driven and detail-oriented. Commitment to continuous learning.
- Record of achievement with peer-reviewed publications.
* Minimum level of education and years of relevant work experience.
- Ph.D. degree in Synthetic Organic Chemistry with 0-2 years post-doctoral or industry experience.
***Note: Please include a detailed summary of your research in addition to your resume********
****Applications not including a detailed research summary will not be considered***********
* Travel requirements.
- Up to 10%
*Physical requirements (only note if the job requires physical capacity beyond general office work).
- Laboratory based position