Essential Functions of this Job:
- Instructional Process: Plans and implements a program of instruction that adheres to the district’s philosophy, goals and objectives as outlined in the adopted courses of study. Makes purposeful and appropriate lesson plans which provide for effective teaching strategies and maximizes time on task. Plans and implements a program of study designed to meet individual needs of students. Creates a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies. Encourages student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good study habits. Provides progress and interim reports as required. Prepares substitute folder containing appropriate information as requested by the building principal. Plans and prescribes purposeful assignments for paraprofessionals, tutors, and volunteers as needed. Recognizes learning problems and make referrals as appropriate. Demonstrates a strong grasp of subject matter. Uses effective oral and written expression.
- Curriculum Development: Keeps current in subject matter knowledge and learning theory and is willing to share this knowledge for the continual improvement of the school’s curriculum. Assists in the on-going curriculum revision process, including the revision of written courses of study. Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials. Become acquainted with supplemental services beneficial to students as an extension of regular classroom activities. FLSA Status: Exempt Non-Union or Specific Collective Bargaining Agreement: Teacher’s Union Page 1 of 3 Position Title: Teacher
- Classroom Management: Develops, in accordance with district and building guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate discipline techniques which are consistently applied. Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities. Share responsibility during the school day for supervision of students in all areas of the school. Provides for the supervision of assigned students when circumstances require a brief absence from the assignment.
- Public Relations: Upholds and enforces board policy, administrative procedures, and school rules and regulations; and is supportive of them to the public. Maintains appropriate work habits, including regular and punctual attendance and appropriate use of conference and planning time. Strives to communicate the positive aspects of our school program to the public in word and deed. Works cooperatively with parents to strengthen the educational program for their children. Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with other staff.
- Professional Growth: Continues professional growth through attendance at workshops, seminars, conferences, and/or advanced coursework at institutions of higher learning. Maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations. Cooperates with the administration in planning appropriate in-service training programs on a building or district level. Attends staff, department, and committee meetings as required.
- Student Evaluation: Evaluates accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods such as teacher-made test, sample of students work, mastery skills check lists, criterion-referenced tests and norm-referenced tests. Make appropriate adjustments in the instructional program based on assessed results. Performs duties necessary to maintain the accountability required for the instructional program and as required by the building principal. Respects the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents, and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics, and state and federal laws.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to work cooperatively with parents, school districts and agencies in providing services to students . Ability to develop concepts and ideas and relate both in oral and written form. Knowledge of child development. Ability to administer testing instruments as required. Must possess strong interpersonal skills and have the ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with students, teams and groups. Must be able to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the position. Bilingual/biliterate preferred.
Education, Experience and/or Certification/License Requirements: Must possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Must be Certified, Qualified and Highly Qualified as defined by the Course Code(s) assigned.