Pace Analytical Life Sciences, LLC is a premier Contract Research and Development Organization located just north of Cambridge, in Woburn, MA providing pharmaceutical development services for small molecules, biologics, oligonucleotide therapeutics, and other biopharmaceutical drug candidates.
We seek a highly motivated analytical chemist with significant experience in mass spectrometry of biological molecules to partner with our clients in their effort to discover and develop novel medicines such as organic molecules, peptides and proteins, oligonucleotides and mRNA, or more complicated medicines combining multiple classes of molecules (e.g. nanoparticles). Our clients include biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies from new startups to those with global operations working in the areas of cancer, vaccines, and rare genetic diseases. This individual will develop analytical methods using mass spectrometry and other technologies for the characterization and testing of candidate therapeutics. Competitive applicants will be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of mass spectrometry theory and technology, creative problem solving, an ability to collaborate in a cross-functional team, and clearly communicate scientific results.
This is a full-time bench scientist position in Woburn, MA with title commensurate to experience.
• Independently design and execute experiments, analyze data, and understand the reliability of results.
• Present results and planned experiments clearly and concisely both verbally and in written documents.
• Maintain a strong awareness of scientific literature relevant to expertise and assigned client projects.
• Supervise, manage, and train scientists.
• Write persuasive proposals to guide client pharmaceutical discovery and development.
• Continuously improve research and development skills and advance technical capabilities of Pace.
• Strive to meet agreed-upon timelines and regularly communicate progress to other stakeholders.
An Ideal Candidate will possess skills in the following areas:
• Hands on experience operating and maintaining a variety of mass spectrometers (e.g. Sciex QQQ/Q-Trap, Waters Q-TOF, Thermo Orbitrap)
• Proficient use of acquisition and analysis software (Analyst, Unifi, Xcalibur, Empower, Chromeleon, Biopharma Finder, Progenesis, etc.).
• Development of LC-MS and LC-MS/MS methods for the quantitation of biological molecules in complex biologic matrices (e.g. serum, plasma, urine, CSF, tissue, etc.).
• Development of LC-MS methods to determine the identity, purity, and measure the concentration of the drug substance and impurities in formulated drugs.
• Characterize of therapeutic proteins (Glycosylation and other post-translational modifications, peptide mapping, disulfide bonds, sequence) and nucleic acids (sequence, mRNA 5’-capping structure)
• Understand the scientific principles and technical capabilities of mass spectrometry with application to diverse biological molecules including peptides, proteins, and nucleic acids (e.g., siRNA, gRNA, mRNA).
• Management of scientists including training in technical skills, technical interviewing, and evaluation of direct reports.
Required Education and/or Experience:
• Ph.D. in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, chemical biology, or closely related discipline. Title will be commensurate with education and years of experience.
• Candidates with 4 – 6 years of industry experience in a mass spectrometry role will be considered at the Senior Scientist level while those with 6+ years’ experience maybe considered at higher levels.
• Established track record of significant contributions as an individual technical expert as well as the ability to thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Supervision, management, mentoring, and training of junior scientists
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills as well as polished presentation skills.
• Flexibility and outstanding time management skills.
• Background maintaining and troubleshooting scientific instruments and equipment.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a lab and office setting, use standard office and lab equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects; vision to read printed materials and computer screens; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone.
Work is performed in a lab and office setting. Work is subject to chemicals, fumes, gasses, noxious odors and related items in a lab setting.
OFCCP Statement: Pace Analytical is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, age, religion, sex, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
This position is full-time, permanent role working Monday through Friday 40 hours a week.