The EPA National Student Services Contract has an immediate opening for a full-time contractor position; Environmental Engineer with the Office of Research and Development at the EPA facility in Research Triangle Park, NC.
Salary: $22.46 per hour.
Travel: Occasional overnight travel may be required.
· Experience with field sampling techniques and/or general laboratory procedures;
· Experience performing scientific data analysis and visualizing results;
· Demonstrated written and oral scientific communication skills;
· Experience with Microsoft Office products;
· Education and/or experience with GC/MS and HPLC instrument operation and data analysis; and
· Demonstrated education and/or experience in gas flow systems including experience with gas phase measurements and measurement systems, pump systems, gas cylinder operation, and instrument calibration.
· Experience with data analysis software packages R, Matlab or equivalent;
· Experience in preparing sampling media (i.e. filters, gas canisters, DNPH cartridges), cleaning and maintaining sampling equipment, and cleaning glassware; and
· Experience with particulate matter sampling and instrumentation.
· Be at least 18 years of age and
· Have earned at least a Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, engineering, chemistry, physics, or other closely related field of study from an accredited university or college within the last 24 months and
· Be a citizen of the United States of America or a Legal Permanent Resident.
EPA ORD employees, their spouses, and children are not eligible to participate in this program.
What the EPA project is about
Within ORD, the Center for Environmental Measurement and Modeling’s (CEMM) Air Measurement and Characterization Division (AMCD) conducts research relating to air pollution issues including measurements of particulate matter and gas phase emissions from combustion sources. This includes research on the chemical composition of emissions from combustion sources such as wildfires, prescribed fires, and residential wood combustion appliances.
This is an excellent opportunity for a recent Bachelor’s graduate to collaborate with EPA’s research team. Research experience includes:
- Analyzing and reporting sampling data;
- Participating as a member of a multi-disciplinary research team; and
- Networking and exploring many career paths at EPA.
Interested in this research opportunity? If so, follow the link below to apply. Questions? Email Elyse.Morrow@ORAU.org