Associate Scientist II or III, Discovery Research
NextCure is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company committed to discovering and developing novel, first-in-class immunomedicines to treat cancer and other immune-related diseases by restoring normal immune function. We are seeking a highly motivated Associate Scientist with both in vitro and in vivo research proficiency to join our team. The NextCure Discovery Department employs multiple function-based, high-throughput screening approaches to identify proteins with novel immune function in cancer and other diseases for the development of novel, first-in-class immunotherapies. This position will focus on research of our novel targets. The selected candidate will work in a highly dynamic, proactive, multidisciplinary environment with the goal of rapidly moving novel biological immunomedicines to the clinic.
· Conduct experiments in the laboratory and ensure generation of quality data in a timely manner
· Skillfully perform various methodologies for in vivo studies including injections (IP, SC, IV, ID), various tissue recovery (blood/serum, spleen, LN, tumor, etc.) for ex vivo analysis, measurement of tumors, etc.
· Carry out multi-parameter flow cytometry experiments from start to finish in an efficient and independent manner
· Perform standard immunology techniques such as ELISA, primary T cell assays, migration assays and other assays as needed
· Culture and maintain cell lines and primary cells with standard methods and sterile technique
· Cell line generation through transduction and tranfection methods
· Ensure good record/note keeping and data organization, basic data analysis may be required
· Work diligently with project leads/teams to advance programs in a fast-paced environment
· Work closely with management and research teams to achieve objectives
· Undergraduate or Master’s degree in a biology related field; significant experience working in immunology or immune-oncology laboratory will be viewed favorably; industry experience preferred
· Full proficiency in multi-color flow cytometry from sample staining to acquisition of data is required
· Significant in vivo research experience with expert hands-on work skills in mouse models including IP, SC, IV and ID injections, tumor measurements, ability to collect blood samples, and knowledge of internal organs, including immune organs, and the ability to collect and process tissues for ex vivo analysis
· Experience in performing ELISA and other related methods for cytokine analyses
· Ability to culture primary immune cells and conduct standard in vitro immunology assays such as MLR-like assays, T cell functionality assays and migration assays
· Basic bench research experience including cell line culture and sterile technique; experience in viral transductions and transfections of cell lines highly preferred
· Skills in RNA/protein isolation, Western blot and qRT-PCR preferred
· Capable of working cross-functionally in a team setting to achieve company objectives
· Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to learn quickly
NextCure is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package in a scientifically engaged work environment. NextCure is located at 9000 Virginia Manor Road, Beltsville, MD 20705.