OHP Data Internship (PAID)
New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR) foster the creation and preservation of high-quality affordable housing, while working strategically to revitalize neighborhoods and communities throughout the Empire State. Under the leadership of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and Commissioner RuthAnne Visnauskas, HCR is a vibrant, innovative agency that integrates and leverages New York State’s housing resources. We have offices in New York City, Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse, and employ a diverse workforce of professionals who are hard-working and committed to serving low- and moderate-income families. Our mission is far reaching, encompassing single and multifamily housing finance, home improvement, rent regulation, housing subsidies, and community development. We partner regularly with a variety of public and private stakeholders.
Achieving this mission requires a wide range of skills and backgrounds in public policy, administration, real estate, architecture, finance, law, and many other areas of expertise. We seek to provide a workplace environment that is productive, flexible, accountable, ethical, and caring. Our employees are empowered to make a difference where they live and work.
Description: HCR’s Office of Housing Preservation (OHP) is seeking a detail-oriented intern to work with the Director of Data Management The intern should have an interest in affordable housing, urban planning, data and analytics, and public policy.
The Agency: HCR is the State’s affordable housing agency, with a mission to build, preserve, and protect affordable housing and increase homeownership throughout New York State. OHP manages HCR programs that maintain and enhance the state’s portfolio of existing affordable housing. This includes HCR’s Asset and Housing Management, Weatherization Assistance Program, and the State’s Section 8 individual and project-based voucher programs.
The Program: OHP’s data intern will work with the OHP Director of Data Management to formalize a process for reporting project timelines, particularly regulatory agreement expiration dates, on a regular basis, update information in program databases, and incorporate newly collected data on various housing projects into the databases. Tasks may include:
- Developing metrics for reporting at the executive and program levels,
- Incorporating physical inspections outcomes or risk ratings,
- Exploring ways to include current market conditions in reporting,
- Confirming existing data is correct, updating where necessary,
- Reformatting fields to accurately capture data or add fields to capture new data,
- Includes data entry for new information,
- Develop report(s) to be used for annual reporting purposes,
- Explore options for collecting new annual report information digitally, and/or
- Explore methods for reporting this information – dashboards, maps, tables, etc.
The intern will gain an in-depth understanding of affordable housing data in New York State and hands-on experience in database maintenance.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, advanced experience in Excel preferred
- Must be detail-oriented and highly organized
- Analytical and technical problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with databases
- Graduate degree candidates preferred
Please send resume and brief 2-3 paragraph statement of interest to HR at InternshipOpportunities@nyshcr.org with the subject line “OHP Data Intern.”
TO APPLY, please send resume and statement of interest to: InternshipOpportunities@nyshcr.org
New York State is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)