New York Life is seeking a physician to join a team of nine other Medical Directors. The Medical Director should be a licensed physician (MD/DO) who possesses a broad knowledge of clinical medicine, as well as MPH-level knowledge of either biostatistics or epidemiology. Additionally, the Medical Director should exhibit a professional balance of motivation, curiosity, insight, customer service, and strong communication skills.
The daily functions of the Medical Director include the review of medical records, consultative support for the Underwriting Team, teaching and training, and the development of medical underwriting guidelines. This individual will work closely with data scientists to assist in the development of multivariate mortality models. Through these functions, the Medical Directors apply their medical knowledge and analytical skills to determine the accurate mortality and morbidity risk associated with complex medical impairments.
As a Medical Director gains experience, the role includes projects which leverage medical knowledge as applied to business needs. Examples of such projects include regulatory issues (e.g., genetic testing) and digital health data.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- A career-changer who is committed to nonclinical work
- Doctor of Medicine degree (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree (D.O.) or equivalent required
- MPH in either biostatistics or epidemiology (including Spring 2021 and recent graduates)
- Unrestricted medical license in the United States
- Experience consulting on cases with complex medical histories
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- For physicians new to the life insurance industry, 3+ years of clinical practice in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, or related subspecialty; preferably, board certified
- For candidates from within the life insurance industry, 3+ years of industry experience required; Board Certification in Insurance Medicine is desirable