We’re looking to hire a creative, passionate, and talented writer to join our Communications Department. Each day as a Staff Writer at our Union is exciting, challenging, and incredibly dynamic. Staff writers attend and cover union events including rallies, picket lines, political events, membership meetings, and certain union-management negotiations. They pitch, research, write, and edit stories about organizing and political victories, changes in the hotel and gaming industries, union contracts and benefits, and news events affecting our membership. They interview members and non-union workers in order to develop articles and content for video projects, collaborate with our IT team designing features on our website, publish our quarterly print magazine, The Hotel Voice, and work on tools to assist during external organizing drives – highly secretive and strategic campaigns to bring non-union workers into our Union.
• Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely
• Capacity to synthesize and communicate complex information in a manner that’s easily understood
• Ability to motivate and inspire others
• Ability to communicate respectfully and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice
• Thorough attention to details and accuracy
• Ability to multitask, work efficiently, be well organized and reliable
• Resourcefulness and talent for problem-solving
• Desire and ability to learn quickly and grow into positions of greater responsibility
• Persistence and determination
• Loyal to the organization, with a sense of integrity
• Good judgment
Extra consideration will be given for ANY of the following qualifications:
• Bilingual (in addition to English), especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Russian, Polish or Bengali
• Strong computer skills and the ability to quickly learn new computer programs
• Talent for photography and/or videography
• Experience working in the hotel, restaurant, hospitality, or other service industries
Medical, Dental, Optical, and Prescription Drugs with family coverage (including domestic partners), Pension, 401(k), Pre-paid Legal, Flexible Spending Accounts, Life Cycle Benefits, Long-Term Care Insurance, and other benefits.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample. The cover letter should be clear and concise and explain the specific reasons for your interest in the position, and specify (with appropriate explanation) which of each of the listed qualifications you possess and which ones you do not possess.
The Hotel and Gaming Trades Council, AFL-CIO, is an equal opportunity employer. All persons regardless of age, race, ethnicity, gender, religious affiliation and sexual orientation are encouraged to apply.