Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
New York City is home to a dynamic economy, but disparities in economic opportunity require a forward-thinking approach to building a more inclusive, sustainable, and equitable economy. The Economic Mobility Initiative plays a vital role in catalyzing equitable opportunities and economic development outcomes for New Yorkers. The Economic Mobility team leads investments, initiatives, and innovations to address the root causes of economic disparity and to enable low- and moderate-income New Yorkers to reach financial security, build wealth and move up the economic ladder, in turn strengthening NYC’s economy at large.
This newly launched team is part of the NYCEDC’s Initiatives Department dedicated to growing and diversifying key industries in New York City across sectors like urban innovation & sustainability; industrial & manufacturing; emerging & applied technology and life sciences.
Position Overview: The SPM, Economic Mobility will work with NYCEDC colleagues and external stakeholders to lead and support a strategically planned portfolio of initiatives that support economic mobility in NYC. Specific tasks may include developing and executing complex programs, delivering on key project milestones and outcomes; managing multi-stakeholder partnerships; leading and organizing high profile meetings; producing top quality presentations, conducting quantitative and qualitative research; and being an overall thought leader in shaping the city’s economic mobility work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project management
- Manage complex projects across the NYCEDC Economic Mobility portfolio, including:
- Developing clear project scopes/workplans based on limited information, adapting as needed
- Managing project contract administration, including RFPs, application, review, approval, funding, etc
- Ensuring project milestones and objectives are achieved in accordance with timeline and budget
- Communicating project opportunities, risks and key developments to multiple stakeholders
- Collaborating effectively with diverse NYCEDC and external teams
- Contributing to fundraising activities, including industry, gov’t and philanthropic opportunities
- Identifying opportunities such as new program areas and approaches to improving outcomes
- Developing and leveraging exceptional problem-solving skills to identify/address key issues
- Conduct primary and secondary quantitative and qualitative research to develop data-driven hypotheses and deliver clear, effective recommendations to address complex problems, including:
- Designing/executing research workplans that break down complex problems into manageable parts
- Conducting in-depth landscape analyses and literature reviews
- Effectively leading interviews with external stakeholders as a means of conducting research
- Analyzing data sets, building and reviewing excel models, budgets, and other financial output
- Partnership development
- Develop and manage public-private partnerships with stakeholders across EDC and external public, social enterprise, and private sector stakeholders
- Creating and delivering presentations and memos that effectively communicate project milestones, findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., senior EDC staff, City Hall, partners, etc.)
- Supporting content writing (e.g., articles, newsletters), operations (social media, website) and other duties
- Planning and managing events
- Proactively foster and support an environment of learning and belonging, including:
- Contributing to personal, team, and department professional development and culture activities
- Being open to critical feedback and identifying areas for continuous improvement
- Developing areas of subject matter expertise and effectively communicating on related topics
- Undergraduate degree and 5+ years of relevant work experience or equivalent experience
- Expertise in equitable economic development and financial inclusion preferred. Experience in areas of strategy, management consulting, social finance, public policy, social enterprise, innovation, bizdev, startups a plus.
- Stellar proven experience managing complex projects against tight timelines and creative/effective problem solving
- Demonstrated track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with internal and external senior clients and parties, including successful cross-functional collaboration
- Ability to look strategically at big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions, including cutting through red tape
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communications, presentation and public speaking skills, including demonstrated proficiency in creating client-ready slides and writing concise memos on project status or research findings
- Strong quantitative skills a plus, e.g., reading/interpreting financial models, excel proficiency, working with data sets
- Quick and eager learner, proactive and diligent, collaborative team player
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
If you are unsure whether you fit all of these qualifications, we still encourage you to submit an application.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.