Applications submitted through Handshake will not be considered.
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) based at the University of Maryland College Park is currently seeking to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Administrative Services. START supports research that applies the theories and methods of social science to the study of the human causes and consequences of terrorism and transitions its findings to the community. START is located less than two miles from campus.
START’s business office is responsible for management of approximately 150 accounts as well as ~60 full- and part-time staff and faculty. Team members of the business office support a wide range of tasks, including financial/accounting, operational, administrative/personnel, and procurement actions for the consortium.
The Assistant Director of Administrative Services will be responsible for managing aspects of the business services of the Center. This includes payroll activities, human resources, procurement, reimbursements, travel, and sponsored research administration.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing business office operations, including review and approval of personnel actions, travel, procurement, and subawards. START is primarily funded by sponsored awards, requiring consideration of unique and differing award terms, as well as broader policies and procedures.
- Providing support and answering questions for PIs and program managers regarding award terms and regulations for compliance; assisting with proposal submission
- Reconciling, analyzing, reporting on financial accounts
- Assisting the Director of Administrative Services in management of research administration functions, approvals, audits, and data calls.
- Providing oversight on inventory and control/access to office and building
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 4 years in an office environment specific to research administration and/or business operations in an academic environment
- Experience in a university setting with budgetary management
- Ability to organize and execute multiple assignments under specific time constraints
- Excellent communication skills, attention to detail and the ability to work within a team-oriented environment
- Prior supervisory experience
- Master’s Degree preferred
- Familiarity with University of Maryland administrative systems, policies and procedures
- Experience in UMD financial, HR, and procurement systems, including but not limited to PHR, KFS, KR, Priority/BA4, ELF, eTerp, and iTerp strongly preferred
- Knowledge of and experience applying federal guidelines of sponsored funds is preferred
- Experience in electronic submission to federal agencies, Kuali Research desired
- Ability to learn and adapt to new software systems will be crucial, given UMD’s planned system changes in a couple years.
- UMD’s Office of Research Administration certificate of research administration (preferred not required)
The salary range for this position is $79,000-94,700. Successful candidates will be eligible for standard University of Maryland benefits, including 22 days of annual leave, 3 personal days and 15 days of sick leave; paid parental leave; tuition remission; health and dental insurance; and retirement. Telework of up to 3 days per week is allowed, pending supervisor approval. More information regarding University of Maryland benefits is available here.
Applications submitted through Handshake will not be considered. Applications should be submitted through the University of Maryland eJobs portal, with a best consideration date of Monday, October 4, 2021 and a closing date of Monday, October 25, 2021. Applications submitted through other sites will not be considered.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.