The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) federal laboratory sponsored by the DHS Science and Technology Directorate and operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute, LLC (BNBI).
Utilizes standard methods for the identification of bacteria obtained from forensic evidence at the National Bioforensic Analysis Center (NBFAC) in support of the FBI and other federal partners. Characterizes bacterial agents using phenotypic, biochemical and/or automated identification systems at Biosafety Levels 2, 3, and 4 under an ISO 17025 Quality Management System.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in a scientific discipline or engineering, and a minimum of 5 years related experience or a Master’s degree and a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
• Clinical laboratory experience and/or ASCP certification in Microbiology highly desired.
• Advanced scientific proficiency in laboratory functions. Possesses the ability to identify issues and recommend solutions to laboratory protocols, procedures and experimental plans.
• Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
• Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
• Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
• Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC’s management system (e.g., ISO).
• Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top secret clearance, suitability for DHS, and a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access.
• Participation in the Immunization Program. Medical Surveillance Program and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) is required.
• May be required to participate in NBACC’s alternative work and/or on-call schedule, dependent upon business needs.
• Conducts bioforensic casework at BSL-2, BSL-3 and BSL-4 by performing standard bacteriological analyses such as gram staining, antibiotic resistance testing, phenotypic/biochemical testing and automated bacterial identification (Vitek 2 and BIOLOG). Participates in Laboratory Response Network (LRN) analyses on environmental samples.
• Accurately documents and maintains results, equipment and reagents in a computerized Laboratory Information System (LIMS) and interprets data for the preparation of analytical reports.
• Participates in the research and development of new methods and technologies for bacterial characterization.
• Performs maintenance and characterization of the Bioforensic Repository Collection including shipment of materials.
• Ability to cross-training with other NBFAC teams.
• May be appointed as a Lab Space Manager (LSM) or otherwise required to help perform LSM duties when requested.
• Receives little instruction on daily work, general instructions on newly introduced assignments, and has the ability to mentor personnel within the group, while identifying and communicating promptly and with recommended solutions.
• With minimal supervision, operates, maintains, and characterizes the performance of the equipment ensuring the reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
• Develops techniques, prepares samples and performs test according to appropriate SOPs.
• Identifies departures from the Quality Management System QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
• Ability to adapt to new work assignments, and perform assignments outside area of expertise, while managing resources efficiently.
• Works on assignments requiring considerable judgement and initiative, while understanding the implications of work and making recommendations for solutions.
• Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
• Prepares necessary SOPs, work instructions and other materials required to maintain the QMS under the ISO 17025 Standard.
• Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
• Maintains appropriate records.
• Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.