The MU Office of Advancement has an exciting opportunity available with the Regional Advancement team. The Director of Advancement will join an enthusiastic and energetic team that is committed to major gift fundraising by geographic territory for the University of Missouri. To complete fundraising work for this team extensive out-of-state travel is required, with up to 50% of their time traveling on three to five-day overnight trips. This motivated individual will focus on securing major and planned gifts and is expected to have a high level of productivity with regard to the number of contacts, visits, proposals and dollars raised. This person will work collaboratively with Advancement colleagues in the schools, colleges and programs across campus and remain donor centered in their work. This is a non-supervisory position based in Columbia, Missouri, and will report to the Interim Assistant Executive Director of Regional Advancement and Gift Planning.
· Identify, evaluate, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospective, current and past donors through personal visits, as well as, various direct communication.
· Responsible for fostering meaningful relationships and cultivating and soliciting $50,000 gifts and higher. Approximate annual metrics for Director level position are as follows:
Minimum $1M raised
12-18 proposals presented; 7-15 closed
100-150 substantive visits (20-50 evaluation visits)
125-200 substantive contacts
· Draft and complete solicitation appeals/proposals and accompanying letters and materials.
· Successfully manage a portfolio of 60-100 individual donors, strategically moving them through the process.
· Responsible for contacting donors to request visits and coordinate meeting arrangements.
· Coordinate individual travel and manage travel budget and expenses.
· Effectively utilize ADVANCE database for research, reports and to record activity and other relevant data in a timely fashion.
· Assist with and participate in donor activities and events both on campus and in respective territory.
· Work collaboratively across campus with unit Advancement colleagues, deans, faculty and staff, as well as, central Advancement colleagues in Planned Giving, Donor Relations, Mizzou Alumni Association, Mizzou Annual Fund, and Corporate and Foundation Relations.
· Provide input and leadership in the development and implementation of advancement goals and objectives, and assure alignment with University priorities, mission, vision and values.
· Seek out and engage in professional development opportunities to increase skills and knowledge of fundraising.
· Participate in Advancement staff meetings, prospect strategy meetings, case management, annual planning, and regular check ins about progress toward goals.
· Assist with training new staff through joint travel and mentorship.
· A bachelor’s degree and three to five years of progressively responsible major gift fundraising, preferably in academic higher education and a capital/comprehensive campaign.
· Advanced degree preferred.
· Candidates should be able to present a proven track record of soliciting and closing major, planned and blended gifts in the five figure and higher range, with the capability to work effectively with high-capacity donors.
· Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities, be self-motivated and disciplined.
· Outstanding collaboration as a member of a team, while having the ability to work independently.
· Strong organizational skills are required, exemplary interpersonal and written communication skills are essential.
· Additional important characteristics include a strong work ethic, personal integrity, emotional intelligence, professionalism, sound judgement, strategic thinking, detail oriented, and a commitment to the mission and values of the University of Missouri.
· Must maintain a valid driver’s license and wireless service in order to carry out the responsibilities associated with the position.
Applicants who submit a cover letter along with a resume and university application will be prioritized.
Regional Advancement Team
The Regional Advancement team serves as a centralized major gift fundraising unit focused on securing private funding for all priorities at the University of Missouri. Working with alumni and friends primarily outside of the State of Missouri, Regional Officers collaborate strategically with colleagues and leadership throughout campus to build and strengthen relationships, increase engagement, and cultivate robust support from donors across the country. Housed in the Reynolds Alumni Center, Regional fundraisers serve as an extension of the school and college Advancement teams, traveling to their designated territories to connect with donors directly and frequently, and serve as the “face of the university” in their respective areas.
Founded in 1839, the University of Missouri is the oldest public university west of the Mississippi River. MU provides all the benefits of two universities in one: It is a major land-grant institution with a statewide mission of service to citizens, as well as, Missouri’s largest public research university. Considered one of the nation’s top-tier institutions, Mizzou is one of only 34 public universities, and the only public institution in Missouri, to be selected for membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities.
Mizzou Advancement emphasizes talent acquisition and professional development in service to our overall mission of enhancing private support of the University of Missouri. As a result, the division continues to attract top talent from around the country. Comprising 180 staff members with a presence across the United States and around the world, Mizzou Advancement announced the $1.3 billion Mizzou: Our Time to Lead campaign in October 2015. At its conclusion in 2020, it was the most successful philanthropic campaign in the University’s history, at over $1.4 billion.
At Mizzou Advancement, we celebrate our diverse community of donors, alumni, staff, and friends. We are committed to taking bold steps to create an inclusive culture where everyone is seen, heard, and valued. Our team is continually learning and growing on our journey to embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. We believe that diversity of views, informed by a breadth of life experiences, help us to understand our humanity more deeply and improve our service to mankind. Our efforts to be inclusive must be intentional and thoughtful, so that we might realize the full benefit of the diversity we seek to build within Advancement. Together we are stronger. Together we are better. Together we are Mizzou Advancement.