Mil Mujeres is committed to providing interns with substantial responsibility. Interns will assist with interviewing clients and drafting written work products under attorney supervision. Through the experience, interns will master substantive areas of immigration law as it applies to helping domestic and sexual assault survivors. Students may receive academic credit for the internship.
Responsibilities for Legal Intern
1. Serve as an advocate and provide support in outreach initiatives by creating a bridge between the organization and the Latino community.
2. Research regulations, laws, and legal articles to assist with the preparation of reports, case files, and legal advice.
3. Interact with new and existing clients to prepare for attorney-client meetings.
4. Assist in the drafting of correspondence and legal documents, such as applications, declarations and cover letters under attorney supervision.
5. Collect, examine and organize evidence and other legal documents for attorney review and case preparation.
6. Translate documents from Spanish to English.
7. Manage databases, input information, organize, and maintain documents in paper or electronic filing systems.
8. Process correspondence received from USCIS related to the clients we serve.
Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in using the law as a vehicle for social change. Spanish fluency required. Candidates should also possess strong written and oral communications skills, and strong research abilities. Along with knowledge of Google workstations such as Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Drive, etc.
About Mil Mujeres
Mission: Mil Mujeres is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2007 to provide legal services and community education and empowerment to low-income Hispanic immigrants and their families in the United States.
Vision: At Mil Mujeres, we believe that embracing diversity is the key to a peaceful world. We believe in gender equality, justice and a country that welcomes, empowers and protects different communities.
Impact of Our Work
Since 2007, Mil Mujeres has provided direct immigration legal services to thousands of immigrants around the country. Through our community outreach program, we have reached out to tens of thousands of people around the United States helping them to understand their legal rights and opportunities within the United States immigration system.