Are you ready to start a career as a Horticulturist? Come grow with us! Metrolina Greenhouses is the world’s largest family owned greenhouse! This is an exciting opportunity to work at a state-of-the-art facility where you can gain hands on experience with leading experts in the field! We are offering internship programs from August to December and January through June.
The assistant grower intern will have the opportunity to explore all stages of growing plants from propagation to finish with a focus on proper nutrients, lighting, and pest management. The intern in this position needs to be able to work with many kinds of people and be able to problem solve different situations all while working in a high energy work environment.
- Ability to understand and carry out daily assignments and priorities from the grower and other team members.
- Knowledge of irrigation systems is preferred. Ability to learn crop needs and be able to adjust intervals and duration as required. (It is a process we will help you with during training.)
- Apply chemical pesticide applications and growth regulators as directed by the grower and in accordance with OSHA and company safety procedures. We will provide the appropriate training and educational sessions to help you accomplish those goals.
- Daily assessment of crops to identify any disease, insect problem or abnormalities. Issues must be reported to the other team members.
- Work with growers and the rest of our great team to identify new ways to improve processes in the areas of logistics and placement. Test and document new methods.
- Keep your work area clean, including walkways and work areas, each day.
- Duration: Approximately 8 -12 weeks.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college and be a rising senior or have an associate degree or higher in Horticulture, Agriculture, Biology or related fields preferred.
Our internship offers you:
- Excellent future job opportunity to return after graduation and grow with our company.
- Access to endless library of protocols and procedures for growing plants.
Some weekends and overtime may be required