Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or intend to be vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 1, 2021, or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by November 1, 2021, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
The Future Talent Program features internships that last up to 12 weeks and will include one or more projects. These opportunities in our Research Division can provide you with great development and a chance to see if we are the right company for your long-term goals.
Applications are sought for a scientific internship opportunity in Vaccine Process Research and Development within our Research & Development Division. The candidate will work within the Vaccines – High Throughput Development & Innovation team in the identification, evaluation, and optimization of a 2nd generation chromatography process for an on-the-market vaccine product.
Specific Job Requirements
The candidate is expected to work on an interdisciplinary team specializing in high throughout technologies with the objective of improving a chromatography process train for an existing vaccine product. Under direction of the project mentor, the intern will utilize existing high throughput chromatography platforms established within the group to screen stationary phases and optimize mobile phases for use in a capture chromatography step. Individuals will gain valuable experience in the use of liquid handling robotic systems, small scale chromatography technologies, high throughput analytical methods, and data rich experimentation as well as exposure to biological and vaccine process development laboratory environments in industry.
Required Education and Experience:
- Candidates must be enrolled in a minimum of a BS, BA, or BSE in one of the following: Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or program relevant to the posting
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to (12) consecutive weeks beginning in May or June of 2022.
- Candidates must be available to work full-time for up to 12 weeks
- Candidates must have computer literacy with Windows-based operating systems and Microsoft Office suites
- Candidates must be willing and able to perform manipulations with biological material
- Candidates must have an interest in virology, recombinant protein expression, vaccine development, and high throughput technologies
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Candidates should have prior experience with automated liquid handling platforms from companies such as TECAN, Hamilton, and HighRes Bio
- Candidates should have proficient in computer programming languages with a focus on data manipulation such as MATLAB, Python, or R
- Candidates should have familiarity with chromatography bioprocessing technologies such as beads, membranes, and monoliths
- Candidates should have familiarity with protein analysis methods such as SDS-PAGE and Western Blotting
- Candidates should have familiarity with optical analytical methods such as spectrophotometry and dynamic light scattering
- Candidates should have previous experience with biological lab work through a course lab component or other academic opportunity