The Executive Director of MCC East Coast is responsible to the MCC East Coast board. The director promotes and encourages support of MCC; provides vision and leadership to MCC program and operations in the region; strengthens mutually supportive relationships between MCC and its Anabaptist constituencies in the East Coast region (including Mennonite, Brethren in Christ, United Zion and Amish). This full-time position requires considerable cooperation and coordination with MCC/MCC US departments and the other regional MCCs including through the MCCs in the U.S. Covenant.
Travel time ranges from 20% or 30%, primarily in the region, higher if living distant from a Pennsylvania EC office.
This is a dynamic and challenging position. The ED must have the confidence and ability to lead and mentor in a variety of roles from managing social justice programs, overseeing immigration assistance programs, running large-scale material resources centers/distribution system, major donor fundraising, and more. In addition to directing diverse staff across a multi-state region that includes Puerto Rico, the ED also has a leadership role in the larger MCC organization which consists of other MCC entities (including in Canada).
All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
* Demonstrated ability to articulate the mission, history, philosophy, structure and policies of an organization, capacity for inviting others to engage with and support MCCs vision and mission
* Ability and experience in envisioning, implementing and evaluating organizational initiatives
* Demonstrates a commitment to dismantling oppression, particularly racism and sexism, and shows evidence of the key characteristics of intercultural competence
* Demonstrated ability to a collaborative approach, as is needed within the region and the broader organization, with a diverse constituency and with partner churches.
* Strong oral and written English communication skills including ability to articulate theological foundation for MCC work, additional Spanish fluency preferred
* BA or BS required, or equivalent experience; Master’s degree preferred
* Legal eligibility to be employed in the U.S. is required.
Relationships/Contacts: The Executive Director develops and nurtures working relationships with the MCC EC Board chair and members and regional staff in the fulfillment of MCC East Coast mission, vision and program priorities. The Executive Director works in close cooperation with the MCC US Executive Director while fully collaborating with the other parts of MCC as addressed in the MCCs in the U.S. Covenant. The Executive Director also cultivates relationships with regional-level constituent leaders, partner organizations and major supporters.
Supervision: The Executive Director is responsible for oversight of development, supervision and regular evaluation of all MCC East Coast staff and programs. Direct supervision of staff includes the Program Director, Communications Director, Donor Relations Director, Church Relations Associate, Material Resources Center Manager, and an Administrative Assistant.
Competencies/Complexity: The Executive Director leads the staff in creative and innovative implementation of the vision, mission and priorities of MCC East Coast. This person demonstrates flexibility, sensitivity, integrity and leadership to bring together staff and constituents of diverse theological and cultural backgrounds for common purposes, and is committed to work within the guidelines, policies and priorities of MCC US. This person communicates effectively with individuals, and with large and diverse groups.
Independent Action: The Executive Director effectively exercises independent action to meet the goals of MCC East Coast and MCC. This person functions with a high level of discretion, knowledge, judgment, and creativity and is able to collaborate, motivate, and provide and receive counsel when needed.
End Result: MCC East Coast staff effectively implements the goals and priorities of MCC East Coast. MCC East Coast fully aligns with MCC US goals and priorities nationally and globally including through connection with the Strategic Plan and Covenant. Constituencies in the region increasingly engage in, and own, the mission of MCC.
30% Administration/coordination, management/supervision
25% Planning and budgeting
20% Relationship building/networking
1. Provide vision and leadership to MCC East Coast staff.
2. Provide support to the EC Board Chair for board development and building strong representation of the East Coast constituency.
3. Oversee MCC East Coast program planning and budget process, ensuring that programs develop in ways that are consistent with MCC Mission, Vision, Strategic Plan, and Covenant.
4. Provide coordination, direction, supervision and professional enrichment for the following staff clusters either directly or through delegation: Programs (currently New York City, Philadelphia, Miami and Puerto Rico), Communications, Donor Relations (including Thrift Shops and Relief Sales), and the Material Resource Center (logistics and shipping).
5. Participate with MCC US Executive Director and other Regional Executive Directors for purpose of enhancing MCC’s corporate mission.
6. Encourage East Coast staff to work responsibly within MCC U.S. Program and Support Services networks.
7. Listen, resource, and support constituent bodies and partner organizations to enhance mutual faithfulness to God through activities prioritized by MCC East Coast.
8. Provide leadership and advocacy for MCC ECs ongoing anti-racist transformation, especially in prioritizing the development of urban leaders of color.
9. Represent MCC East Coast and the broader work of MCC to congregations, conferences and events.
10. Strategically cultivate relationships with key supporters of MCC and with those who could become substantial contributors in the following ways:
• Clearly presents and articulates MCC’s mission, vision and “case for support” in ways that enthuse and energize constituents, board and staff.
• As guided by donor relations staff, builds and maintains relationships with selected major donors and other key stakeholders, including solicitation of their gifts and support.
• Encourages the organization to fully embrace a “culture of philanthropy,” starting with soliciting regular, generous financial giving by all board and staff.
• As guided by donor relations staff, relates to regional entities which support MCC such as thrift shops and relief sales.
• Coordinates effective ways of raising other forms of support for MCC, such as material resources, prayer, etc.
• Coordinates effective ways of encouraging people to consider and enter MCC service.
11. Other duties as assigned.