Matriculate’s mission is to empower high-achieving high school students
from low-income backgrounds to make the leap to our nation’s top colleges
and universities. Our vision is that one day all the best students in America
will have access to and be supported at top colleges—regardless of their
income or background—which will give them a unique opportunity to
change the trajectory of their lives and the lives of their families.
Matriculate empowers teams of undergraduates to provide free virtual
college advising to high-achieving high school juniors and seniors from
low-income backgrounds. Equipped with more than 50 hours of training,
undergraduate Advising Fellows provide the information, guidance, and
support that these high school students need to apply to, gain admission at,
and excel in the best institutions. Matriculate is working to build an America
in which all talented students have a fair shot at top colleges and
universities long reserved primarily for the elite.
Matriculate is a founding partner of Bloomberg Philanthropies’ college
access and success initiative called CollegePoint, which aims to help as
many as 65,000 students to apply to, enroll in, and graduate from the best
colleges and universities.
Matriculate is committed to partnering with communities of staff, high
school students, and undergraduate Advising Fellows to foster a diverse,
equitable, and inclusive organization. We seek to build a team that is active
in contributing to advancing and sustaining a culture in which all lived
experiences are welcome.
Position Overview: Matriculate seeks a strong candidate to serve at the High School Fellow
(HSF) Recruitment Associate. The associate will lead high school student
recruitment, selection, and onboarding.
This position requires a drive and passion for our mission, paired with
experience in recruitment, program development, and setting and
achieving aggressive goals. The successful candidate will have
excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills, focus on quality,
flexibility, and commitment to rigorous evaluation and continuous
The High School Fellow Recruitment Associate reports to the Senior
Director of Student Experience, while working closely with the rest of the
Matriculate team. This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and
High School Fellow (HSF) Recruitment and Selection
● Implement overarching HSF recruitment and selection approach, as
well as regional and state specific strategies
● Support strategic plan initiatives, including planning and
implementing activities to recruit and serve more first-generation,
rural, and underrepresented students of color
● Design and host virtual information sessions for prospective
applicants, schools, parent and community groups, and partners
● Design a marketing plan and content, including videos, social media
posts, flyers, and webinars to maximize reach for student
recruitment and educator support
● Cultivate relationships with external community partners, schools,
parents and student groups to help build brand-awareness and a
strong applicant pool
● Co-manage the Matriculate Instagram account
● Manage the Ambassador Program to support student recruitment
● Update and maintain the student application portal and review
● Leverage data to improve recruitment and selection
● Exceed recruitment and selection goals
● Develop systems for scaling approach to prepare for Matriculate’s
● Collaborate with the Student Experience Associate to facilitate HSF
onboarding and advisor pairing process, including designing
introductory communications and content for students and advisors
● Operationalize and scale onboarding outreach (including text and
email reminders, and phone calls) to increase the number of
students who are paired with advisor
Connection to Mission and Values
Matriculate has five core values that lie at the center of the work we do,
which should align with the values and mindset of the ideal candidate
● Student-centered mindset: We serve as allies with our students to
help them access opportunities they have earned to build a more
just and equitable country. All our work advances our mission, and
in all our work we hold a student-centered mindset.
● Valuing and Supporting the Team: We value and support our team
and their well-being both in and out of work. We work hard and make
time for levity and celebration. We actively make choices that
promote flexibility and to give team members the space to structure
their time and maintain long-term sustainability.
● Commitment to be a Diverse, Equitable and Inclusive Organization:
We are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive
organization. Staff, Advising Fellows, and High School Fellows
shape and inform a culture that invites differing perspectives and
ongoing dialogue to inform the way we interact together, our
practices, and policies.
● Continuous Learning: We embrace a mindset of continuous learning
and recognize failure as a part of learning. We regularly give and
receive feedback and are accountable for both its intent and impact.
● Ownership: We are all owners, accountable for our collective
success and impact. We proactively identify problems, ask for what
we need to be successful, and propose solutions. We communicate
directly, respectfully, and with humility.
The ideal candidate will have:
● A deep commitment to Matriculate’s mission
● A bachelor’s degree
● Experience with social media and digital marketing
● Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally to a range
● Detail-oriented and experience in executing complex projects,
balancing both long‐term and short‐term projects and planning
● Ability to build, manage and leverage relationships with a proven
track record of flexibility and influence
● The ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people by creating
opportunity for input, dialogue and problem solving
● High degree of personal initiative in problem solving, commitment to
constantly learning, growing, and reflecting on their work
● Desire and ability to meet strategic goals, work independently and
thrive within an entrepreneurial, fast-paced and growing
● Willingness to travel domestically in urban and rural areas (5%)
● Ability to work evenings and weekends as necessary
Location: This position is based in New York, NY. Matriculate’s staff are currently
remote until we are able to safely re-open a physical office in 2022.
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, Matriculate offers a
comprehensive benefits package.
Salary range: $58,500 – $62,000
Submit an email with the following details and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Update the subject line to: “Program Associate, HSF Recruitment – [your name]”
● Attach a PDF version of
○ tailored cover letter
○ a non-fiction writing sample
Applications that are submitted in any way not following these instructions or missing
documents will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered.
Matriculate is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal
opportunity employer. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. All
qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. We will review applications on a rolling basis until
the role is filled.