The Mastery-Relay Teaching Residency, a partnership between Mastery Charter Schools and the Relay Graduate School of Education, is the perfect opportunity for those who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession. We are seeking inspired and dynamic educators to join our team and provide a top quality education for all of our students. Mastery Schools is known as the destination of choice for high performing education professionals and offers dynamic education systems in which emerging educators can learn and grow as they serve students and families.
The Residency offers aspiring educators, including recent college graduates and career changers, a unique opportunity to receive high-quality teacher training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. During this two-year program, you spend your first year in a full-time support teaching position receiving mentorship and professional development from your school leaders, Relay Faculty, and our central office- based coaches to help you become an incredibly effective teacher.
The Elementary (K-5) Experience: Residents pursuing Elementary Education will get the opportunity to empower students with the foundational blocks for their academic success by implementing Mastery’s rigorous literacy and math curricula and supporting students through small-group instruction, in both push-in and pull-out settings. Through an accelerated on-ramp and frequent collaboration with skilled Special and General Education teachers, Residents will not only strengthen their students’ skills but also hone their own teaching craft!
The Middle/ Secondary (6-12) Experience: Residents pursuing Middle and Secondary Education will get the opportunity to work closely with a strong mentor teacher in their content area whose classroom will serve as their home base during their first year for their gradual on-ramp experience. Through a gradual on-ramp designed around the pillars of frequent coaching, practice opportunities, and feedback, Residents’ opportunities for growth will be limitless!
As a Relay Resident, your passion and experience is valued as you work closely with your fellow educators to create a joyful, learning community that is driven by Mastery’s mission and vision. As a Mastery team member, you will be trusted to make decisions and held accountable for critical results. You will engage in a positive and professional workplace embedded in a warm, joyful, student-centered, and welcoming school culture. After a successful first year in the Residency, participants will be prepared to transition into a full-time lead teaching position at Mastery. Apply today to make an immediate impact in the lives of our students!
Please submit your undergraduate transcript (unofficial) to Residency@masterycharter.org; your application will not be considered complete until you do so. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and qualified applicants will be invited to complete a video interview and/ or phone interview. Finalists will be invited to a Selection Day at our central office and, if they advance to the final stage, to conduct a demo lesson and interview at a Mastery school. Reach out with any questions about the Residency application process to Residency@masterycharter.org.
Benefits of the Residency
- Full-time salary and benefits (as a support teacher in the first year; if promoted, as a lead teacher in the second year);
- An opportunity to engage with expert teachers and best practices through extensive weekly training, real-time practice sessions, and actionable feedback in proven, highly-effective teaching techniques;
- A Pennsylvania or New Jersey Teaching Certificate (depending on placement state and successful completion of Praxis and Basic Skills tests) at the end of Year 1;
- A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) at the end of Year 2 from Relay, an innovative program focused on practice-based teaching methods; New educator support from Mastery and Relay (e.g. heavily subsidized tuition)
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement; Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (Please reach out if your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0)
- If currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2022
- Official copy of transcript is required for application to Relay
- Must meet minimum eligibility requirements for PA/NJ teacher certification- read more about PA certification requirements here; read more about NJ certification requirements here
- Commitment to and experience (preferable) working with underserved communities
- A strong sense of professional responsibility; genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- Commitment to professional growth, self-reflection, receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve and effectively address challenges
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide small and whole group instruction to students for academic support
- Work with lead teachers to do the following:
- Implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Analyze student assessment data to measure progress and inform instruction
- Build relationships and maintain regular communication with families
- Collaborate to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Other responsibilities as requested
- Attend practice sessions and an evening academic content class weekly
- Successfully complete PA/NJ teacher certification requirements and Relay academic coursework Have desire and commitment to teach and serve Mastery’s school communities for at least three years after the Residency